Methods for late season bow hunts

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shaf, Jan 7, 2007.

1. shaf

shaf New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am going to my cabin this Tues, Wed, and Thurs in North Missouri for a few days of late season bow hunting. What are your ideas for calls/rattling or not for this late in the season?? I never did much this late. Thanks in advance for your comments!
    Shaf

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I just sit and wait and hope for the best.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    late season I dont know how responsive theyd be to calling & rattling after getting chased by everyone else not to mention other deer. This late Its all about food and rest to recover from the rut. Ive been baby sitting some food plots at the local gamelands and find good sign but im not seeing anything until after legal time. I have to find where their bedding at but where I think it is its on private land that doesnt allow hunting. Good luck to you.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Deer re-group this time of year and can be found in larger herds then during early season. This means that, although there are still a lot of deer, their not going to be traveling all over the woods like before. As Scott said, you should do more scouting and find out where they are bedding and hunt them near, but not in, the bedding areas. Most deer are nocturnal after being hunted hard so it's best to find the thickest places on the property you hunt and look for them there. This time of year I don't sit on a stand much. I push thickets and try to jump deer, hopefully getting a shot when they move. Deer will lay up until you make eye contact with them or get really close and then bolt.

5. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    id say im a little late.. but on New Years day my cousin went out to my deer stand and sat.. and a 10 and a 12 pointer came in from different directions and fought RIGHT under my stand... he didnt have a clear shot at either on.. (when they were under my stand he was in my uncles stand 50 yards away) lol then he moved and the 10 came in under my uncles stand again lol.. but i just read an article in my outdoor life magazine.. that has a storty by Dr. Grant Woods.. a deer biologist that says the No. 1 buck attractant is HUMAN URINE! says make a mock scrape ( 5 foot clear circle in the leaves) do your duty. climb 25 feet away in a stand.. and wait... says the more mature bucks come in to it... apparently because of the strong odor or something...? i have urinated in the woods b4 next to a salt block.. and the salt was gone in about 3 days after that.. and there was A LOT of sign there... so.. apparently it works...

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    for got to answer ur ? i would just set and rattle VERY slow... grunt a few times... and see what u get... u can try the little trick in last post... but its up to u... im going to try it next time im out...

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've been hunting a certain field off and on all season. Every evening I drive by there are deer in it, but no matter where I set up they never come in. It's like they are psychic or something. I few nights ago I did have a couple of does step out, but they were well out of range so the next night I set up right where they came out and saw NOTHING!.
    I wish I would've set up there again tonight, but the wind was out of the N/E, which would've put me in a bad spot as the wind would've been blowing from the field into the woods.
    Instead I played the wind and set up behind a log pile 30 yards to the east of the trail hoping to catch a doe stepping out into the field.
    As it turns out, the wind was not a factor. Around 4:45 I saw a very nice buck step out of the woods north of the field, wind to his back. He stood there for a few minutes and then finally started coming toward me, with 4 more buck following him!! I was pumped! :big_smile:
    Unfortunately, they stopped to feed about 150 yards from me. I tried grunting a little, but they paid no attention. So, I don't know how much effect grunting/rattling will have this time of year.
    Finally, with only minutes left in legal shooting time they began moving my way again. Unfortunately, they never got closer than 50 yards.:sad2:
    Had I set up in the other spot the 5 of them would've walked within 20 yards of me. Oh well, that's hunting for ya. :tounge_out:

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    during the rut and right after(like less than a week after) ive rattled and grunted deer in that i have been able to see but were out of range, and ive tried the same after rut to deer i have been able to see and its pushed them away. i guess its differnt locations differnt results for some things but it could go eaither way for ya. try it if ya want.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excuse me, please. My bad! I wasn't thinking bow hunting. I was thinking gun hunting. It was late and I wasn't thinking too well. Although it is possible to shoot moving deer with recurve or long bow, it is very hard to do with a compound bow.