Methods for catching Flatheads in Reservoirs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by walongtree, Mar 20, 2008.

1. walongtree

walongtree New Member

State:
    NC
    I am new to the club and am very pleased with info so far. I have just moved to a new area in North Carolina near High Rock Lake. I have grown up fishing for mostly channels and some blues in rivers. I hear that High Rock has some good flatty fishing and would love to give it a try. Would anyone be willing to give me pointers on some methods for targeting these fish? The few I have caught have been on live bream I know that usually is the bait of choice. I am more concerned with how to fish for them. Should I drift, anchor on structure and in what depths should I be looking for fish.

Thanks,

Drew

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    try anchoring around structure and creeks and oh yeah rocks are good

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Structure structure structure.Find some dropoffs brushpiles gravel bars and you should be ok.

Also the bigger the bait the bigger the flathead.Match your bait to what is in the reservoir.If you see shad fish with shad.Bluegills and other sunfish are also great bait,if there are any perch you will be in the money. Good luck in your search and Welcome to the BOC.

Just try still fishing and ife nothing hits after a little time find another peice of structure.