Metal Storm

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, May 27, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I watched that also, really amazing how they work and nobody has to even be close for it to wipe out anything coming in the area it's protecting. Wipe out a whole convoy of all types of vehicles and our guys don't even have to be near.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    some of that stuff is amazing!!!!!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    About as amazing as what a C-130 gunship will already do.
    The guns will detect muzzle flashes and whoa be unto the poor sucker on the ground.
    When the rear door is open with a line of gatling guns pointing out. I think it is customary for the pilot to wag the tale or wave. The last thing the sucker on the ground ever sees.:lol:

It aint Puff the Magic Dragon anymore. It has totally evolved from the Vietnam war era. The computerized fire control is awesome.

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think it's sad we have to develop weapons of that magnitude. The world has gotten in such terrible shape that we have to have firepower like that...

6. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    How about that pistol shooting 3 rounds before the gun has a chance to recoil. Pretty cool.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    To say that I became aroused when I saw that a few weeks ago would be an understatement! That is one awesome piece of American FIREPOWER!!!! Sorry this kinda stuff gets me all worked up! Another cool piece of American military technology is the Predator A and B spy drones!

Aaron

TA2D

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've worked on 4 different aircraft platforms since joining the Marine Corps in '91. I'm an Ordnancemen and I have personally been able to witness the direction we are headed in terms of weapons! Pretty cool!

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    NCCatter, Peace through superior firepower.
    We may never use a quarter of what we develope but its what keeps us at the top of the food chain.:smile2:

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Keep 'em coming.

11. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I saw that program. Now if they can keep the Chinese from stealing the technology we will be OK.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Christ, wait until the deer hunters get that. Bambi won't stand a chance.

13. I think that the Chinese already deveoped it... like they say if they show it on TV someone will try to do that stunt or make that weapon. This is interesting since I onyl saw a clip on discovery channel about it. Here is a scary point to make about Chinese stealing secrets. I read that 95% of all computer software in the US is pirated and used commercially in China. Makes you want to rip some heads off when computer software is a billion dollar industry. They must like stealing.

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've been watching that show. I TIVO it and watch it later cause the wife isn't into it much but I find it to be a good show to watch along with Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters.

15. AllenM

AllenM Guest

It's fascinating, the direction millitary weaponry and gear are headed with all the latest tech. I love the idea of having all this remotely operated weaponry and vehicle systems like the Predator. Immagine that redback on a predator for a long range seek and destroy mission! Good intel is the only week link... Now if they'd get smart and start perfecting IFF tech on these computerized weapons systems to combat the issues in communications and intel regarding troop positions, we'd have a lot less friendly fire casualties!! Get GPS burst transmission relaying equipment for ground troops to paint a target and identify their own location simultaniously and there would be no more worrying about panic stricken comm techs accidentally relaying their own coordinates for close air support and getting themselves bomed instead of the enemy positions! Proper scrambling and freq hopping tech combined with automated GPS locator response systems could allow pilots and artiliery positions to send out a "where the hell are you guys?" signal and get an almost immidiate and garanteed accurate response to avoid friendly fire incodents and would prevent the enemy from using it against us to locate our positions.

16. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I read and article in popular science magazine about 2 years ago on this technology.

It's pretty amazing stuff. Can be used to take down income missiles or rockets or to just blast the living crap out of an area very fast.

One of the cooler applications it talked about was new guns for police officers. Having 1 gun loaded with a variety of different ammo types for different situations - without having to change clips or anything.

Another neat thing I read somewhat recently was some improvements to laser systems.

US Army's Tactical High Energy Laser Shoots Down Mortar Rounds

Neato!

17. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Metal Storm---Amazing---is all I can say.
    :big_smile:

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'll second that... I've got a 8 minute video clip of a AC130 Gunship in action in Afgahnistan...Pretty amazing stuff.. I wont post link here as it may not be suitable for everyone (they level buildings, trucks, people, and spider holes in it). They have multiple mini and howitzers mounted on em... I had read somewhere where they assign two crew members with shovels just for the shell casings when they actually firing...

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I too watched that. It never showed how to reload tho. The pistol seemed to have the rounds in the barrel. Soooooooooo would you change barrels?
    Bill