Metal Roofs

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Tala, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Tala

Tala Guest

My husband and I, are putting a new roof on our brick home this spring. We are considering a metal roof. I already spoke with two local contractors. Both say that metal roofs are the way to go. I've seen several pictures of homes in our area, with this type of roofing. I was curious to see what you all think of this idea. Maybe give us some pros and cons. Thanks!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I can not think of one single con. I put mine on about 7 years ago and had a shingle roof for the first 12 and they were gone by then and they were the 25 year type. I Installed the metal roofing and haven had water build up yet and snow comes off easier. The metal roofing is the way to go if you want durability. Do not put black on though because it draws heat real bad. Found that out from my neighbor. I have the Barn red on mine.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I just visited friends in New Orleans and on the north shore of Lake Ponchatrain.They gave me a tour of the devastation but one thing I noticed is that typical of Americans we get knocked down a lot but no one anywhere is better about getting right back up and into the fight.Virtually all the public buildings and most of the homes being rebuilt were going to the new metal roofs.They have all kinds of colors but I would suggest a light color and the pale green is particularly attractive.I live in hurricane country and my next one is going to be metal period end of story.Lousianna is voting with their roofs and it is mostly metal.:smile2:

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It's ironic how just a few years back, most banks wouldn't loan for a metal roof home. I've wanted one again since I sold my mobile home, years back. From what I've learned recently, they put the metal roof over the shingled roof, is that true for those of you that have had this done? Or is this lazy way locally? LOL.

I'm gonna build a tiny log home in the near future, and this is what will be put on it.

Take care.
    Cheryl

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Putting a metal roof on might be more expensive now but in the long run it will save you. You wont ever have to replace it soon, and it is more durable than shingles, which you have to replace every so often. The best thing though is you get to listen to the rain go piter pater on the roof and it will put you right to sleep. :cool2:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have steel...slightly different, in that the panels are 12" wide, and all of the fasteners are hidden. I love it, but there are cons.

It's slick...gotta rope yourself on to do any work up there.

Large penetrations (like chimneys) are problamatic, but doable...flashings are a little bit tricky to install/seal.

Ice: it all comes off at once...sounds like the end of the world is nigh, and could really hurt someone.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    A medal roof is the way to go if I can talk my wife into it thats going to be our next one one of my brothers told to make sure you had a backing on it for the noise. Cheryl that may be why they leave the shingles on in your area I don't know but just a thought:tounge_out:

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We had a metal roof when we lived in the north woods of Wisconsin. When the time comes to have this place reroofed, it will be metal...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Arkansas: Litterasy Ain't Everthing

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Could be, but I want the pitter patter...................LOL................I'll inquire about this to the roofer that used to live next door, when I see him again.

We had one when I was a child and it was always so soothing during even a bad storm, to hear the raindrops on the roof. Whether pounding or slightly hitting the metal, I always enjoyed it.

Take care.
    Cheryl

10. Tala

Tala Guest

The contractor, today, said that leaving the old shingles on, helps to insulate. I would imagine that would be a noise barrier as well.

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Holly, we put a metal roof on our house in eastern Okla. and it droped our electirc bill (total elect) about 15%.
    I think its a great way to go.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I were putting on a new roof it would probably be metal. We have the 35 year Architectural Shingles that are now 14 years old. If they last as well in the future they will well out last me. In the past I've got as much as 22 years out of 20 year shingles that didn't have any major hail damage.

Cheryl, I would never allow any type roof placed on top of another.. not even shingles.
    But i don't know anything about metal.

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree with Dayton.

If there are any bad spots in the decking, you want to find them and fix 'em before putting on the steel.

C, you want some decking under that steel, otherwise your attic temps (and your A/C costs!) will skyrocket.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can go inside your roof cavity and take a good strong light and inspect the decking. When I put my roof on my house when I built it I put 30 lb felt under it. Lots of people said that was an over kill but the theory is if the shingles leak then the felt that heavy will trail the water all the way to the lower edge to drain off.

I put my metal roof on and chose not to strip it. What I did was take the roof cap off and cut me a slot in the peak so the roof would vent good. I laid another layer of 30 lb felt and laid my roof on that. I put screws every 2 feet and ran a roof vent from one end to the other end. I haven't had a problem yet except for the fact that water comes off so fast it over shoots the gutters. I can live with that.

15. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I like a metal roof. What I like is you don't have to worry about a hail storm beating your shingles off.

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Provided the shingles underneath whatever roof is going to be placed over them are laying flat, they are beneficial. 2 layers is good. 3 is bad because of weight. If there is only 1 layer, I would recomend leaving them in place. I was a commercial/residential roofer for 7+ years, and many, many roofs have 2 layers. If the sheeting is good, and the shingles aren't curled, you're good to go. Bad sheeting is easy to find by walking the roof, and feeling for soft spots. The new metal roofs, or standing seam metal roofs are the way to go if you don't mind the noise from the rain.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm now working for a contractor who does metal roofs as well as metal buildings. We recently roofed a mobile home and are in the process of adding a deck on to another home which has a metal roof. if you reroof over shingles you need to place firring strips at intevals so that the roof will 'breathe' I personally wouldn't re roof over more than one layer of shingles.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    No way I would leave the old shingles under the new roof.
    The insulation value of a shingle aint much if any.

The real reason they want to leave them on. Its not a fast buck job if they got to deshingle and haul the shingles off.
    And they know about what folks are willing to pay.
    Most of todays metal roofs are good for 50 years or more.

When my shingles go, I'll probally 5 V-tin mine

19. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    metal is the way to go but if you are not going to live there for the rest of your life its not worth the money if im thinking right it about 1/3 more to have metal roof put on as the test show people only live in a house about 10 to 15 years an for the money its not worth it in my book if you dont live there longer then that

20. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Metal roofs are a good alternative to shingled roofs. They have a longer life than shingles (I think 50 years is the guarantee). However, most Insurance companies will pro rate your shingles if you have any damage. If you had a 20 year shingle and say that your roof was damaged after 10 years they would pay 50% of the cost of the new shingles (but not labor). I don't know if they do that with metal roofs, something to consider?
    As