Metal or Plastic Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KansasKatter, Oct 16, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    After checking my fuel filter last night, I am convinced the old metal tank that came with my boat is rusting on the inside, and clogging the fuel filter. I am going to replace it, but was wondering what is better, metal or plastic tanks? What are your opinions?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Plastic, just for the reason you have mentioned.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, from what I've read and heard, Plastic is the way to go. We got our boat used, and it's about 20 years old and has had a plastic gas tank the whole time.

4. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I replaced mine for the same reason, and I got a plastic tank. You can see the fuel level so you dont have to wonder if the gauge is right, another thing I like about it.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    is there any reason why you couldnt coat the inside of a metal tank with epoxy or would the gas eat it up , it takes some really hot thinner to loosen up epoxy once its had time to set up , i found a 12 gallon tank its metal i was thinking of putting it in my boat i have a plastic tank 6 gallon but feel like it takes on water , the gaskets are cracked around the pick up line and the cap . what do you all think ?

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I don't know about the epoxy paint around gas but it is GOOD stuff. I know they make gastank sealer to fix leaks. Charles I'd replace that gasket on the plastic tank of yours or get a new tank. Leaking fuel is not a good thing.

7. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    if it was mine,i would go plastic...

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Charles I've painted a lot of fiberglass boats with epoxy paint and gas or oil won't bother it at all but if I was you I would stay with plastic gas tanks because you'll have no rust problems.They make a 12gal plastic tank and I'm thinking about getting one for my boat.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Steve,I've had plastic tanks on my boat now ever sense it was new and never had any proublem with them 8 years so that would also be my recomendation on a gas tank. JMHO. J.D.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont really need a 12 gallon tank but on those rare occasions when i fish alot of the holes that i know to hold good fish , my 40 hp mariner gets 4 - 5 miles to the gallon when my plugs are new . just thought it would be better to not have pour gas from a jug .

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    With all the available sizes they offer plastic tanks in, that's by far the best way to go. My last boat I bought came with a 1979 metal gas tank in it. I knew that thing was in bad shape. One of the first things I did to that boat was replace the gas tank, the entire fuel line and the fuel filter. The engine ran like a completely new engine after that.

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the metal 5 gal cans for gas around the home. The plastic containers blowup in the sun and loose their shape. I tried to get a couple more cans of galv. metal but couldn't fine any place that sells metal cans. I would think its the same way with boat tanks, they probally don't sell steel containers anymore. Do they?

13. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Charles,

The gaskets on my plastic tank cracked too. I disassebbled and cleaned the tank and replaced the gaskets with some gas and oil resistant sealer that I bought at the local auto parts store. Works like a charm.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When I fished the Chesapeake Bay, I carried 4 of the six gallon plastic trips with me each trip. Usually came close to running out of gas too. There are ways to adapt to and overcome a limited amount of fuel. However, you can coat the inside of your tank with some on the market chemicals to seal the tank from leaking right now...but it will rust again tomorrow or the day after tommorrow. I'd say get rid of the metal tank on your terms and when you can best afford to. It is a headache waiting to happen.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Plastic tanks for me, the saltwater here will eventually eat up an aluminum tank.

I have a 12 gal. tank made by Tempo, it comes with a sending unit, so it was easy for me to hook up a gauge in the console. Since it is mounted below the center console, I took great thought before deciding to go with the plastic. I'm glad I did:smile2:

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Plastic, plastic, plastic. The only metal one worth having would be a stainless steel tank, and although I haven't done any research on the subject, I would imagine they cost a pretty penny! :eek:oooh:

17. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I recommend to never use metal gas tanks or cans, that dang rust can cause some miserable fishin trips.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Most boats that come with built in gas tanks come with aluminum, for somne reason. ON the boats at work (that are in saltwater mostly) we have had to have the decks cut out and those aluminum tanks replaced on every one of them after about 5 to 10 years. The saltwater sitting in the bilge eats little corrosion pits in the aluminum and then you have gas constantly leaking into the bilge. Not a good thing.

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I like the metal tanks..i have 2- 6 gallon tanks neither one is rusted and they are completely sealed..which means if the water floods the boat no water gets in the tanks....put some carpet under them it keeps them from rubbing..also no water gets in when it rains and they are grounded for safety. They are specificly made for newer model engines though.

20. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I noticed there are an above plastic tank that is red and a below tank that is black or beige... can you use an below tank above?