Metal looking gook next to belly meat

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by DittmeRhino, Aug 17, 2006.

1. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always rub that silver metal looking mucus off of any catfish that I keep. I am curious, is that a natural heavy metals filter? The stuff looks just like metal.

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i am not sure what it is but i can tell you that if you do eat some of it, it wont hurt you. i have taken it off but i have also not taken it off, and i am still here.

3. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Don't think it's metal, but it definately improves the taste of the belly flange if you remove it.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mark instead of rubbing it off use a sharp fillet knife and with the skin side down fillet the meat off of the skin then flip it over and fillet the metal looking part off. Then trim any red or fatty looking meat off. This will really improve the taste of the belly meat.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i love catfish. never really had to try and improve it. i eat the red and yeller meat allong with the metal,lol. never bothered to remove it. takes long enough to fillet them.

6. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    same here thats were flaver comes:big_smile: from

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    You may be cutting yourself short healthwise....

The fat of any fish is where the healthy omega-3 fatty acids are. Theyre good for your heart. It may not tasyte the greatest but you are doing yourself a favor by eating it.

just a thought.

Sal

8. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I believe it is mercury that occurs naturally in some water systems that is the metal looking stuff in the belly meat.

9. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Not so. First off, the mercury is trace amounts, not enough to actually see. Second, it is built up in all the muscle, no way to get rid of it. The good news is that I've never known ANYONE who died of mercury poisoning, depending on the sze of the fish and the water it comes out of, you have to eat a heck of a lot of fish to get a lethal dose or have it seriously impair your brain. I think the state advisories err WAY on the side of caution so if you follow those you should be fine IMO. They can be found with a simple google search.

Also, regarding mercury, since it is cumulative, you get the summ of all the fish that your fish ate, so the larger the fish, the higher the mercury % generally speaking (most people think it's the age of the fish...which does factor in, but what really impacts the mercury levels are the number and type of fish that your fish ate.

EX. a 1-2 lb Cat is eating small fish at the bottom of the food chain and anything else it can get. Those small fish aren't comsuming a lot of other fish. A large cat is eating larger fish who's diet is also made up largely of other fish so the large cat is eating a diet higher in mercury than the smaller cat's low mercury diet, and like they say, you are what you eat.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    my brother vlparrish is no scholar mind you but he told me once that he checked it out in order for you to get enuf mercury to hurt you from fish you would have to eat three pound of fish (that have mercury) a day every day for 20 years . i love fish , but not that much lol

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know what it is are if it is harmful to you are not. I do know that I have always been told to and always have cut it out.

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I've Never Even Thought About The Stuff,any That I Keep,i Just Filet Them Out And Put Them In The Freezer For Those Winter Months.

13. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i usually just take that silver stuff off to but ive never tried it with it on

14. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i just takke the stuff of too