Metal Detecting

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by catfish slick, Dec 27, 2007.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I just wondering what are some of your better finds with your metal Detector.
    I have been detecting sense the early 1970s and I have been very lucky. me and two of my friends use to take a nine day detecting vacation every summer. We would split the car rental, motel bills and gas, and we would have a great vacation for less then Five hundred dollars. We would tell our travel agent to look out for the cheapest tickets we could get going any place back east ,and we didn't care where we landed, we just wanted them for the labor day weekend and for nine days. when we would land we would rent us a car and hit the road going from town to town. when we would hit a town we would we would go to the oldest part of town and drive up and down the streets looking for places to detect. where old buildings had been taken out are just vacant lots. if we didn't find a place, then it was off to the next town. In our trips I have seen just about all the civil war battle sites ,and have come up with quite a collection of old coins, civil war buttons, gold coins, jewelry , and just about every thing you can imagine. I guess one of the oldest coins was a large cent dated 1796, it had been cut in to quarters"and I found the Quarter with the date on it" to make change. In those days a lot of things cost like 12 1/4 cents are 15 1/4 cents and that is how they made change. as being a valuable coin it's not But I found it where they had just taken out an old slave shack down on the river in Snow Hill Maryland, but the history behind it Just boggles the mind. And another coin that comes to mind is an 1820 large cent I found in Dan Berry Connecticut, It was found where they was building a taco bell. they had taking out some large trees and an a couple old homes, and I guess this large cent had been protected by the roots of this big tree, because it looked like it had just came from the mint. I guess what I am wanting to say is if you buy a good detector and will get out and use it it will pay for it's self. have Bought four detectors and feel I have payed for all of them with my finds, not to mention the exercise you get and all the friends I have made over the years

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been wanting to get started in this for a long time. Every since my Uncle came up one time and made a few passes through my yard.We live on a 4 acre tract that had an old school on it in the late 1800"s and early 1900"s. I think it was tore down and all the students were then moved to town schools. When my uncle came up with his metal detector, he only scanned for about 30 minutes and we found several silver quarters and some nickels and pennies too. I dont remember what kind of detector he had... maybe a white? Can you recommend a good type or brand? A dealer that sales good ones. What do you recommend?

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Philip for a neat story. I enjoy the metal detecting and wish my health would allow me to hunt more.Sound like you do some great planning.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    John, at the presant time I have a whites 6000 DI Pro It is a very good detector. But I am getting in such bad shape I have not used it in a while and sence I found the B.O.C. I have been to busy to detect. John go on line and find the kelly co Web site they have every brand of detector, and at discount prices. just let them know you want something you can just turn on and go. Not something that is going to be so complicated that you loose insterest.

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Yes Mick,
    I do know what you mean about your health. mine is going also. and it's hard for me to except it. I do love Metal Detecting it's just getting harder for me to do.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wish I lived closer to the coast line. I love hunting the sand areas. You can scoop it up. Less bending up and down.I really like to hunt the beach after a major storm. The water moves everything in and out. Makes hunting a dream.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have been wanting to get into it for a long time too. Just haven't had the extra play money to buy a good detector. I have a couple prime spots I need to hit before someone else gets to em. One is an old home site which is now in the middle of the woods and somekind of makeshift grist mill right next to it with 2 big grinding stones. Maybe they were making shine?? :tounge_out:

Anyway...I need to get one soon, one that can weed out all the nails and tin cans...

mike

8. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Mickey, water hunting is where you find most of your better finds. I have a mans gold nugget bracelet that I found at the beach that has two full ounces of gold in it. At one time I had a water detector and hunted the beach at Pismo, and the swimming lakes around my area and found many Class rings, some of them I could I return to the owner If they had the students name and date one the in side. gives you a good feeling to return some ones ring that thanks it is gone for ever.

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Mike, you can go to a detector dealer in your area and rent a good detector for a weekend, they will show you how to operate it, and that would be much cheeper than buying one , then if you think you like it you could always by one later. But I would all most bet your two Prime spots have been hit before, It's very hard to find a spot that someone has not detected before. but that is not saying that it still would not be a good spot to detect. I have been back to places I thought had been cleaned out for years ,and make a good find. They never get it all.