metal detecting

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by catfish slick, Dec 30, 2009.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Well now, Let me see if I can get this post in the right place, in a new thread and not in a quote. Well the time has come for me to start getting rid of some of the stuff that I found with my treasure hunting over the years. I have been telling my wife, all these years that this junk is to help with our retirement some day. (and I have been getting away with it until now) but that day has come, with the Gold prices as high as they are, and getting a bill in the mail $895.00 dollars for haveing the the transfer case in my jeep rebuilt. "She" decided the time had come to take my gold in and sell it. I had no idea how much they would pay me, But sense It never cost me anything except a little bit of my time, and it was time that I enjoyed, I would be happy with any amount I would get. well they Checked it to see what was 14k and 10k then Weighed it, then she turned to me and said she would give me a check for two thousand, three hundred and eighty dollars. I just about fell off my seat, so I went by and paid for my transfer case and still came home with a nice little nest egg. That's not to bad for all that fun that I have had over the years. and I still Have all my watch fobs, tokens, coins, old bottles, and a nice Marble collection left to sell. So let me say folks, it's not only a great and fun hobby for the family, but it can be profitable . Happy new year to all my B.O.C. frriends

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    That's Pretty good.

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    no more like a Grand Slam!!:smile2::smile2:

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Nice job!!!I found an engagemen ring worth $6,999..She fell in the snow and it fell off of her finger!!alll i got for that was $50:sad2:...o well it took me about 2 hours but leastwise she didn't loose it:big_smile::big_smile::tounge_out:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Phillip you have taken an enjoyable sport and turned it into a paying sport. Congrats to you.

6. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Richard, that's great you could return that ring. I have returned several rings. But one that I remember off the top of my head was a nice large 14k high school class ring, It had the boys name in side the ring. when I called his house his mom answered, she said that he had worked all summer for the money to buy that ring and he had lost it at the old swimming hole the first time he went swimming. When I took it to their house she gave me a twenty dollar bill,and she was so happy. It kind of makes you feel good to be able to return a ring to
    the person that lost it.

7. lee

lee Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    i always wanted to detect for gold on the north carolina coast at low tide!!!
    find pirate treasure!!!:crazy:
    bitty & lee:eek:oooh:

8. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Lee, that would be right up my alley if I lived close enough. I have found US gold coins, and I just can't imagine what it ould be like finding spanish gold coins.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Just last week a fella found an old copper money piece from the late 17th-early 18th century at Writesville beach in Wilmington NC, British I think.

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I wish I had lived in a state where I could find old coins like that, but California and the west cost are relatively new states as compared to any of the southern states. In the 16 and 17 century the population of this part of the world had very few people in it, and it's very rare to hear of coins dating back past the 18 hundreds being found. My two oldest coins, that 1798 Large cent that I put on an earlier post, that had been cut in to 1/4s was found in Snow Maryland. and I have an 1820 large cent that I found in Danbury Connecticut. Man I just can't imagine anyone livening back their and not owning a Detector, Its a great hobby and Good exercise.

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i love takin my detector for walks, i go to the historical society and find old maps of the area that list old schools, tow paths, mills, parks and other heavily used areas. i always wanted to hit the jersey or delaware shore after a huricane or decent storm and see what gets churned up. the best info is just talkin to the local "old timers" and they'll tell ya about the old swimmin holes or where fairs were held.