Metal Detecting Mystery

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by catfish slick, Jul 20, 2008.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    In all my years of detecting I have found many Class rings, military tags, things with names and address on them., and have always tried to return them to the people that lost them, are a family member. I just ran across two military tags, that have been laying on my computer desk for a couple of years that I have been unable to find the owner are a family member. I know that their is some one out their that would like to have the Dog tag that belonged their Dad, uncle, are brother. So I thought I would would put the information that is on the tags on hear, and if some one with a little more time and the knowledge about looking up lost people would like to have a go at it, we can return them to some happy family member.
    the first one I think is Just an Id Tag, but is is on old stile aluminum military dog tag and it says.
    My Name is
    Lola Cowen if lost Return to Jim Zitnik
    US NAV STA Hawaii

This one is a the old aluminum Military tag from world war two.

The second one says.
    Daniel A Myers
    33015094 T41 A
    Mrs A.S.. Myers
    209 2ND AVE. P
    Altoona P.A.

If you have any luck I will let you be the one to return it. Just let us know on Hear. Good luck.

2. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas

3. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    I found out that he was born in 1915 enlisted in the army in 1941 at age 26 and is 83 years old if he's still around. I'll keep at it in Altoona to find more.

Rubes

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    That is great Ruben, That did not take long, I figured some one could turn up something. If you find he is still alive, are has a family we can send this to them. I would think he has someone. thanks again Ruben, I will keep watching to see what else you can find out.

5. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    wish the best of luck to ya!!!!

6. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey thats neat, how about keeping us posted on the out come, by the way my Father was born in 1925 and he's 83 this month so this guy was born in 1915 than he's 93. Hopefully you will find out something.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that would be 93 yrs. old, thats how old my grandfather turned this yr.

8. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Up Date,
    Back in 2008 I placed a post on the Metal Detecting spot on the BOC. that I had these two old Military Tags, and that I was looking to return them too the owner, are one of the family members. Well I had for got all about them until the other day I was getting ready to leave home for a three are four day camping and fishing trip, when decided too check my email before I left. well I had a this E-mail form a Randy Zitnik, he said that he was surprised to read that post on the BOC. he said that Lola Cowen was his mother and that Jim Zitnik was his Dad, he said that tag was given to his mother when his dad was stationed in Hawaii. I emailed him right back and gave him my cell number and he called me before I could get up out of my seat. He ask whear I had I had found his moms Tag, and when I told him, I lived in Taft, he said he had an uncle that had lived in Taft also, but did not know how the tag had got lost hear, come to find out his mom is still living and lives in Clovis Ca . Nothing on the other tag as of now.

9. sprite_som

sprite_som New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    That is awesome, I bet that guy was tickled pink that you found that. Good luck with your treasure hunting!

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Posted for Catfish Slick

Staff Note: I deleted all of the phone numbers and email addresses for the obvious reasons.

Subject: Re: genealogy help
    To: "Phil Johnson"
    Date: Saturday, June 13, 2009, 8:51 PM

Hi Phil
    I hope your fishing trip went well. I talked with my mom about the dog tags you had found and she is very excited to see it. My Dad had just passed away on 8-8-08 and It was becuase of him I had googled his name which led me to you. I am writing to give you my address if you would like to mail them or I would even drive up to pick them up. which ever you would prefer. It would be very much appreciated.
    again thank you.

Lake Elsinore, Ca. 92532

Randy Zitnik
    son of James Zitnik & Lola Cowen

--- On Tue, 5/26/09, Phil Johnson wrote:

Subject: Re: genealogy help
    To: "Randy Zitnik"
    Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 8:10 AM

Randy,I sure do still have your dads dog tag, we are just leaving for a four day fishing trip but when I get back we will Talk some more. I will be glad to return your dads Tag. Hey I live in Taft CA. and if you would like to talk, my Cell # is 1 XXX-XXX-XXXX I will have my phone with me. If not I will get back with you when I get home.
    Phil Johnson.

--- On Mon, 5/25/09, Randy Zitnik wrote:

Subject: genealogy help
    To:
    Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 9:46 PM

I just read this and was wandering if you could help. It says My name is Lola Cowen, If lost return to Jim Zitnik,US NAV Sta Hawaii. I would like to return it to her are her children. Thanks
    Phil Johnson

my mom is Lola Cowen & my father is Jim Zitnik. Do you have his dog tags?

Thanks
    Randy Zitnik

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    The last e-mail I received from mr Zitnik.
    Yes I received the tag. it is very cool. Thank you very very much. It was just all to weird how I came about this on the web, I wish my dad was around to see it. and the Card you sent it in with the bird on it was all to weird too. My Dad was into Birds he even had a Woodpecker for a pet. He was a volunteer at the Wildlife refuge. My mom lived in Taft back in 1997- 1999 with her uncle Cliff Denny. He had lived there for many years doing air Conditioning & heatting. Again thank you very much for your finding and keeping it all these years.It realy means a lot to me.
    Thanks
    RandyZitnik

12. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Very interesting story here. Just goes to show, you never know what your going to find, or where it will lead.

13. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    Wow that is really incredible! It is pretty awesome that you could help bring those tags back to the family after them being seperated for so long.

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I was totally surprised yesterday when I received a very nice card from Lola Zitnik,and Family. it had a Twenty dollar bill in side. any time I can return an Item to the person it belong to are a family member and especially a military veteran, that's payment enough for me.
    My thanks go out to the Zitnik family, and I am glad I could help.

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Truely an awesome story with such a great ending. Thanks go out to you!

16. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Great story and great job Phil.

17. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow, that is so cool! Good job!

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Reps for a great conclusion to an amazing story!

Bill in SC

19. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    As one who is also into detecting I know where you are coming from. It has happened to me and it feels great to do so.
    Keep your coil to the ground brother

20. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Reps added. Thanks for reuniting a family with the long lost property of a loved one. Fine job! You're a good man!