Metal Detecting are Treasure hunting

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by catfish slick, Mar 9, 2008.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I am sometime going to have to wright a story on my success and experiences Metal Detecting, are what some people just call Treasure hunting, but in less you have pictures, it's like talking about that big fish that got away and you were the only one to see it. no one really believes what you have to say. I started my hobby of collecting back in the late fifties as a young lad growing up on a farm. I would get out and walk the fields looking for arrow heads, Indian beads and artifacts, and at one time I had quite a large collection. Then before Metal Detector's Came in to the picture, I started bottle digging and I kind of specialized in Bitters and whiskeys. I still Have all my all my bottles, but it makes me sad to say that I sold my Indian artifact collection, and to the first person that made me an offer, I got ,3000 dollars, and let me say I cried as it went out the door. I had over four hundred perfect arrow heads. and several full necklace's, several bowls and charm stones. It was most likely worth three times what I sold it for. Well I guess some of us live and learn the hard way. well now that I am older and the winter of my life is quickly approaching I realize the need for me to start getting rid of all my collectables as my children have very little interest in them, and god forbid they have to come in and dispose of them when I am gone. I figure the wife and I may as well sell it and enjoy the money while we still can. I have a picture of two of my finds. One is a Amber Pumpkin seed Whiskey From the Arlington Hotel Bakersfield California. and the other is a Key and and Key Plate for the Arlington hotel room #9 , the bottle I found over forty years ago, while sifting for beads at an old duck club, and the key plate came from under the sidewalk of an old house of prostitution from back around 1900s. I know of two of these bottles that sold for 14 hundred dollars. and this is the only key plate left that I know of. Hear is a picture

Attached Files:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Nice stuff, Phillip.

As far as pics go, don't worry about who believes what. Post your stories and do your best.

I can't seem to figure out this new camera program of mine. Someday I might get into it and post some more pics of what I find, beach hunting.

A few days ago, I found a very nice, Fossil watch. Looks to have been on the beach for a few months, but still in good working order.

Are you anywhere near some detectable Ca. gold?

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Bob,
    Yes we don't live to far from gold country. I have never tried Detecting for gold nuggets, but I know of people that live hear in town that do. I had most of my luck with gold rings and jewelry, in lakes and swimming ponds with a water detector. right now with a wet suit and a good water Detector, and with gold being as high has it is, a person could make some serious money hitting all the swimming lakes. I will have to post a picture of all the gold I have right now.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Really nice stuff, congrats. I hope to get a good detector one of these days and start finding some stuff. I do have some nice arrowheads I found over the years.

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks mike,
    Detecting is a great out door family hobby, and Can be rewarding also. I sure miss having my collection of arrowheads.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I chose the same path as you. Arrowhead hunting, bottle digging, and metal detecting. I can relate to the sad feeling of selling some prized stuff as I sold my bottle collection. I do still have my arrowheads though. Thanks for sharing your story!
    http://dirtbrothers.org/gallery/bristow/
    Bill in SC

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Mike for sharing some of your detecting rewards. I see your from California. Do you live near any beaches? I would spend alot of time on those beaches, especially after big storms or high surfs.

8. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    hunting for arrowheads is right up there on my list of fun i recently moved so i gotta do some research an find some new places but im looking forward to walking the fields this spring here is some that i found last spring

Attached Files:

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    one of my brother in laws has a really nie marble collection he has been collecting along w/every marble book he can get his hands on!!!!

10. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You can also detect at playgrounds around swings slides and merry go rounds. The bark lots or sand lots produce a lot of clad money and sometimes you find silver coins, rings, matchbox cars, it is a lot of fun and I do make enought to pay for my batteries.

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Ok, I said I would post a photo of some of the stuff I have found. I had one box of silver rings I forgot lay out for the photo. and My wife has several nice rings that are not in the photo. Three of the more valuable Items are the Gold bracelet, It has two full ounces of 14K gold in it and the cross in the middle of the rings has 9 grams of gold. It's so large that my wife wouldn't wear it, she said it made her look like a priest. and their is one ring that has to half-k diamonds in it and a nice sized ruby. along with this stuff I have found a 1875 twenty dollar gold piece A 1910s indian Five and a 1902 liberty Five dollar gold pieces. and a 1899 liberty Ten dollar gold piece. I had the 1875 Twenty in a belt buckle , and our house was broke in to and it got stolen. Just made me sick. I just came in from fishing and set this up in a hurry, so I hope it turns out clear enough to see.

Attached Files:

12. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Great collection Bill.
    one of the reasons I finally sold mine was that I was becoming afraid that someone from one from one of our colleges would find out I had it and just come and take it. I know of one collector that lost his in that manor. My son works for our Water company,he is the backhoe operator. And dug this nice bowl he took it down to the antique dealer that bought mine and he gave him a hundred dollars for it. well, some how word got out that he had found the bowl and someone from our college went to the water co. office and said we would like to have that bowl. and they told my son to bring the bowl in so the college could have it . so he goes back to the dealer and now the dealer wants two hundred for it. So It cost my son two hundred to get it back. and the company told him any time he digs something like that, It was to be brought to the water co. office. and it could have cost him his job. that's the kind of world we are liveing in to day.

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  14. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is one of the Massy boys from the outdoor channel. They have the Gold Prospecting Show.

15. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh you guys are talking about my passion now....arrowhead hunting. I love to look for them and found my first complete one in the 3rd grade. I live in a place where a large creek is about 500 yds away and I have found calf creek culture broken points at this spot. I was studying to do this for a living at the U of Oklahoma years ago before my service connected dissablilties got into the way (usaf med retired). Some of my better points were found in Nevada. The lion share are from here in Oklahoma though. Although it is technically not legal to remove arrowheads from the ground in Ok I do not know one proffesor that would attempt to take someone's finds from them for one very big reason.....97% of the sites they study are sites ordinary arrowhead hunters like oursevles find and tip off the arch departments at the Universities....they would have a lot more work to do without the help of the novice hunter. so dont let a collector buffaloe you into getting rid of your collections.

If anyone in Oklahoma, southern Kansas, or SW Mizzou needs/wants someone to go arrowhead hunting with give let me know....I'm always game. One day I am going to go on vacation to the Chesapeak area and attempt to find some clovis points from the paleo era......the holy grail of arrowheads. We found an overhang with corn grinding holes, a cave painting, and a plce were they mace ropes from leather on a large sandstone...nest time I go in there I will post a pic.....its great to know other people enjoy something like I do.