Metal detecting and your best finds

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    So as not to get off the subject in another thread, I thought I'd start this one.

I bought my son a metal detector yrs ago when we lived near the beach in central Fl.

We had a great time digging mostly pop-tops, but did make several gold finds on the beach at Cape Canaveral.

A neighbor lost her wedding rings in a feild where her and her husband were target shooting. She asked my son for some help in finding them. I believe it was his best find and she was thrilled to recover them.

I just got a new White MPX and being not far from the beach here in NC, I thought I'd get back into it. I hope to post some pics of more than a few pop-tops in the future.

2. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I bought a cheap one a few years ago and i had alot of fun with it. Still have it. Around these parts, people are too poor to lose anything though, so its hard to find anything :p . I found an old plow blade one time, thats about it.

3. willisjj

willisjj Guest

My first detector was an old (very old) Garrett BFO "Master Hunter" I payed 12 bucks for at a pawn shop when I was 12 years old. It didn't work worth a crap really, but I loved it (still have it too) and a silver dollar was probably my best find with that one.

I then moved on to a slightly newer Whites Coinmaster and used the heck out of that for a few years until I could talk my wife into letting me lay down $1000 on a new (then) Minelab Sovereign XL and this is the best detector I have ever used. I still have it and I have went behind two buddies in Colorado Springs finding mercury dimes that their detectors didn't even pick up. I think some of my deepest coin finds were in Colorado, the deepest probably being a mercury dime at about 9" deep. I was in a club in Colorado called the "Pikes Peak Adventure League" and the club would get permission to hunt ghost towns and such on private land and we all had tons of great finds there. One lady found a gold coin in perfect condition at an old coal mining town from the 1880's.

Some of my most interesting finds though came from Germany as our post in Baumholder used to be one of Hitlers main parade grounds and training sites. I found tons of old nazi coins and very old silver coins from various countries and also a lot of American silver including old liberty half and dollars.

My wife used to detect a little, usually detecting, then letting me dig, lol. Her best find was in a Colorado park, where she found an 18 kt gold ring layed out with Black hills gold all around the top surrounding a big pearl.

Its a great hobby, you never know what you will dig up next. Its been awhile for me as this ground is so hard in Arizona that I gave it up after going out a time or two. Shouldve been doing some nugget hunting I guess.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Gulp, I enjoy coin shooting myself. Not many older finds, but lots of interesting things along the way.

I use a Garrett GTI-2500. It was a GTI-2000, but sent it back and they upgraded the unit for free.

I smell a new section coming up so we can post our finds. :)

5. willisjj

willisjj Guest

That sounds great as I will be hunting again once I get back to Oklahoma in a couple of weeks where the ground ain't hard as rock. I bought my oldest daughter a Garrett a few years back, but she lost interest and I sold it. I can't remember which model it was, but I had a really hard time pinpointing with it. Guess I am just used to my Minelab.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I went to the beach to get used to this new type unit. Played with the sensitivty settings and discrimination modes, just to get the feel of it.

Found 2 crusty old pennies. Danged things show up as jewelry. Better than a pop-top I guess.

The beach bunnies started showing up and I lost interest :cool:

Paul, I smell a new sponsor if this gets enough interest. Those folks in Winterhaven Fl do alot of internet advertising.

7. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I have a really old one. It is the opposite of most. It beeps until it finds something, then it stops. I brought it to the beach once when i was in FL, and all I found were some hotwheels and matchbox cars. Other than that I haven't found anything.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am thinking about getting a metal detector. It will be awhile before I can afford one :eek:

9. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Hey Top, you can get into the big bucks if you ain't careful when it comes to these detectors, but the good thing is that these days you can get an excellent detector for a couple of hundred bucks. Thats still a couple of hundred more than I have right now, but all I am saying is when the time comes and you start shopping around, you don't necessarily need all of those "bells and whistles" that come on the top end models. Another good thing is these days, you don't have to worry about quality as long as you go with a name brand, I would recommend though, if buying through a dealer that you give it a test run and make sure it feels good before you buy it. Some get heavy after swinging it half the day and others are so light it feels like you are swinging a switch. Some of the major name brands that you won't go wrong with are:

Minelab (my personal favorite and in my opinion the best)
    Garrett
    Whites
    Bounty Hunter
    Tesoro

Kellyco Detectors (Kellycodetectors.com) have some really great deals and carry every brand, accessory, and whatnot out there if it is related to metal detecting, prospecting, treasure hunting etc. They used to have a layaway plan to, although I don't know if they still do. They also have money back guarantees. Anyway, if you ever decide to start some shopping and have any questions on anything, just let me know and I would be happy to help you out.

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Well, I guess my best find was a 1973 high school class ring, from Hampton high school, here in Hampton, TN. It was in perfect condition and was around 9 inches deep.

Anyway, I called a friend who I knew had graduated from Hampton high school and found out that he had graduated in 1973. So, I gave him the initials that were in the ring and he checked his senior year book. He called me back within an hour and said he knew exactly whose ring it was. And, that he knew the guy had dated a girl who once lived on the property that I now own. So, I looked the guy up in the phone book (he only lived a few miles away), called him, told him I was a friend of one of his senior classmates. And, that I had a question to ask him. So, I just asked him if he used to date a certain girl in Hampton and if he lost anything while dating her. Well, he said, "Yeah, I lost my senior ring." I asked, "Would you like to have it back?" Well, of course, he said yes. Anyway, I met him about 30 minutes later. And, said, "Well, it will cost you to get your ring back." He asked, "How much?" I said, "The story." He says, "What?" I said, "There has to be a story behind how you lost the ring, so you have to tell me before I give it back to you." Well, he commenced to tell me about how he had been at the girls house that day. And, that it was snowing and there were already several inched of snow on ground. Anyway, some of the chickens on the small farm that the girl lived on had gotten out and he was out trying to help her get them put back up. So, they were chasing chickens in the snow. And, he made a dive and/or grab for one of the chickens and his ring flew off his finger (he said he had lost a lot of weight and his ring was then a bit to big for his finger). Anyway, he said he hunted for the ring for months and finally gave up on ever finding it.

He was quite elated to get the ring back after all those years (close to 30). And, especially with the condition it was in. All I did was rinse it off with water and it was almost in like new condition.

Anyway, as far as metal detectors. I feel almost metal detector poor. I have three of them. All top end models.
    A Garrett GTI 2500, Minelab Explorer and Minelab Soverign Elite. I have numerous different coils for them. Plus probes etc etc. I really enjoy metal detecting. But, I do not do it that often. And, one time it cost me $800 dollars for my metal detecting (on my own property). My German Shepherd was with me and she was bitten by a rattlesnake. So, the vet bill cost me $800 plus change.

My oldest coin was a 1936 wheat penny on my property, a Civil War musket ball, some kind of medal (that I have since misplaced/lost myself).

Have found a toe ring (sterling) or two at the beach and a couple of belly button rings, also at the beach. But, nothing that valuable. However, I know one lady who hunts Myrtle Beach, SC a lot (4 or 5 times a year) and she finds all kinds of very valuable rings.

I like my Minelabs much better than the Garrett. And, IMO, give a better response. And, I have had problems with the Garrett while beach hunting (a lot of false signals and/or noise in general) I can't say anything about Whites, Tesoro etc. Other than the Tesoro's are probably easier to hunt with (depending upon model) because they are so lightweight.

11. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Yeah, those Tesoros are light as can be. Almost bought one a while back. Great story about that ring. You should submit it to Eastern & Western Treasures magazine or something. They sometimes print stories such as yours and you might make a few bucks.

I haven't been out in a while, but just reading this thread is making me restless. I also prefer my Minelab Sovereign over anything else I have ever tried. I have the older Sovereign but afraid to trade up for a newer version as I can't imagine another working as good. 17 different frequencies and supposedly as many tones although I can only differentiate between probably 5 or 6, enough to tell pretty much what I have before I dig. I also have a Sunray DTI meter which is very accurate so that between it and the tones I can usually tell the difference between a buffalo nickel and a newer nickel, the silver money is like a kick in the tail its so obvious and I am getting better at discerning the gold rings from the trash. It is also very good at discrimination, sensing a dime next to a rusty nail and such. Overall, I am just very impressed with this detector. I have known alot of people that swear by the Whites Spectrums but I have never gotten to use them. The Garrett I bought my daughter I had a heck of time pinpointing anything with, so I ended up selling it.

I

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Mike, I sure enjoyed the story on the ring and all the other information on different MD you two guys are providing.

So far I've found some junk on the beach and a few pennies. Things can only get better.

13. willisjj

willisjj Guest

So far I've found some junk on the beach and a few pennies. Things can only get better.[/QUOTE]

When I first started out, all I was finding was new (clad) money, lots of pop tabs and aluminum foil and pretty much a bunch of crap. I got a little discouraging reading all those magazine articles about these guys finding civil war relics and morgan dollars and such. I read a little, then I joined a metal detecting club which there is bound to be one if you are in driving distance of a larger city. That helped my by leaps and bounds, I found a detecting buddy and learned alot, like where to look, slowing down and taking my time and digging signals which at first sounded like trash. A few good spots that I have really done well in, as far as old coins are:

construction sites (with permission)
    vacant lots (especially in the old side of town)
    old home sites
    the grass strip between the sidewalk and the street on the old side of town

I have made some really great finds in Colorado Springs. I would drive around the older part of town and when I found that someone had all their grass tore up to resod (which was common there), I would stop and ask permission to hunt their yard and offer to give them half of what I found. That grass being gone takes off the top 4-6" of ground and leaves you with just the old soil underneath. Almost all of the trash goes with the grass too and it wasn't uncommon to actually find silver money with your eyes while detecting. That was some of the most rewarding, satisfying, and easy detecting I have ever done. The only thing that tops it is old town sites and ghost towns and such (with permission of course). Especially the town sites found with your own research and the ones that have no building left standing and hardly no trace of its existence. They are everywhere in the U.S. and you can find them if you care to do a little research and studying old maps. Its worth it when you pull out an 1897 indian head cent in perfect condition that has layed where it was dropped for over a hundred years until you came along and dug it up right next to a cow patty, lol. Anyway, it helps once you find that first old coin, you will be very proud and it will give you a newfound confidence in your detecting and your finds will skyrocket after that. Anyway, I would write more but I have to go change the dang brakepads on my dang explorer this morning.

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Now this is something Judy and I have wanted to do for a long time. We don't have a clue how to start, but one day we will hopefully get one a get into it. It really sounds like a great hobby for sure that we would love. Thanks for starting the thread Bob, we will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    It is really neat to hear about all the things ya'll have done and found and about the different detectors.

15. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I just found a Preditor II on line for $239.95, retail price is $299.95. What do you think? Is this a good one?

16. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I am not familiar with that one Jim, but like I said, I have been out of the loop for a couple of years. I will check on it later today and get back with you. Maybe someone else knows something about it offhand? Just got done working on the truck and I am greasy or I would do it now.

17. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Ok Jim. Long day, but I am finally at work so I can rest, lol. Anyway, I had not heard of the Predator II but after a little research it looks like it is made by Garrett and has been out for a few years, both of which are good points. I read some reviews and I didn't see a lot of happy people. That really means nothing though, if it didn't work Garrett would not still have it on the market. More likely, the people that bought this detector didn't take the time to learn how to use it correctly and gave up on it. Detecting is just like fishing, it takes a while before you can make a smooth cast and you have to learn where to go, how to tie the knots, and all of that stuff. You are on the right track pricewise on a beginners model. You probably won't go wrong in that price range with any of the major brands I listed in my other post above. I forgot to add Fisher to that list. They make some fine detectors. These detectors can get heavy after a while, and you might look at different setup or mount options. Some detectors, you are able to mount the control box on your hip or belt which leaves you just swinging the rod and search coil. Thats a substantial weight difference and might provide more enjoyable detecting trips. Another option is one of the ultralight Tesoro detectors. I still want one of them. Not sure what their lower cost models go for but will look some of them up if you need me too.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, that MPX from White sold for 249.00 with shipping. What sold me on it was it's pin pointing capabilities and the price.

The pinpointing really works.

If you have a hard time getting up or down and digging on your knees, you might need to have a young'n with you. They come cheap.

You don't have a shortage of young'ns, and I'd bet after a few finds, they'd be fighting to go along.

There's an old homesite near by that looks alot like granny Clampett's cabin. I'm looking into finding the owner for permission.

19. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Those are good detectors from what I have heard. They are on sale for $239.00 at kellycodetectors.com . Not sure what all they come with. My 8 year son is wanting a detector now and I am thinking about this one maybe for Christmas or his birthday next year, whichever one I can afford first, lol.

I almost forgot to add- I have a couple of youngins you can use Jim. Just say the word and I will send them your way, lol.

20. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    They come with a set of volume control headphones and a few extras they throw in, like a huge knife for digging and a side pouch and apron, like a carpenters apron. They also give you a little gadget knife that I thought was junk, but the big knife, although made in China, looked to be of some quality.

Last I heard, Jim and Judy had 19 grand children, unless they counted a couple more than once. :D