Met Up With The Game Warden Today!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went out chasing the deer today with a group of friends when I got to see the green wildlife truck heading down the road at the end of the drive towards me.. I'm sure it wasn't a coincedence. He had been sitting back watching the drive, and waited for everyone to head back towards the road and vehicles to make his move. I was impressed with the profesionalism he showed. He checked our licenses and tags, and asked a few simple questions to make small talk about the hunting and the week. I'm sure that was to set a credibility basis.. he seemed to ask everyone the same questions as they arrived back there at seperate times from the deer drive. He then stood around with the deputy that was with him and talked outdoors for a good while. No tickets were issued. We all were in good standings with the law, and actually enjoyed talking with him. His job has to be a tough one, and I respected his approach to see us! rollo

2. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    TY Rollo for sharing your story with us, glad all was ok !!!

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Glad things went ok

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got to know one here pretty good, stand up guy. Most of the hunters round here are legal, the fishermen, thats another story. :confused2:

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I wouldn't want that job...folks don't like you before they even know ya. But if ya got nothing to hide and your following the laws than nothing to worry about. If your worried...best change your ways...:wink::smile2:

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have alot of respect for our Ar game wardens they are a great sourse of infro if you just ask them

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Exactly Mike, I was impressed by how he handled each and every one of us. He obviously is trained well, he pulled right up behind the last pickup truck which was pinned up to another couple of trucks. He pulled up so close, he had to back up to leave.. I was carrying my T/C Omega Muzzelloader like always. I put a black piece of electrical tape over the end of the barrel to help keep moisure out. He never inspected my gun first hand after I showed him I had no primer in it as I was standing on the road. But, it was noticed and I was asked about the small piece of tape over the end. There were many other small things I caught on that he was looking and asking about.. I don't miss much either usually. It made for an interesting experience. It's been a while since I have seen an officer in the outdoors. I wanted to start on some fishing issues, but figured that can wait for another time :roll_eyes::smile2: he seemed in a good mood, no need to express some feelings on a 25 degree December day!!!! :smile2: LMAO!! rollo

8. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    It's been a while since I have seen an officer in the outdoors.

I wish I could say the same! I was checked 5 times over the summer. :eek:oooh: 4 times by the conservation officers and once by the Coast Guard. I was legal every time. It got a little old after the first couple of times.:smile2:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rollo the wardens take a little while to check out a guy with beady eyes.:smile2:

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, and when your wearing a camo Michael Waltrip hat they of course think your cheatin....lol :wink:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NAh, he knew I was an honest dude after he asked if I ever kill any big deer..? I replied, " No, I always get pushed aside by others..... :roll_eyes: rollo

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    driving deer IS a Hazard....PERIOD....Paul

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Your a SOB either way. The SOB ain't doing his job, or why is the SOB pickin on me. These guys ain't got an easy job, the $$$sucks and their divorce rate is out the roof. If your a sportsman who is up to snuff, he's your best friend. If your not, don't blink. My best friend growin up was a possum cop and fortunately i learned the ropes. If they didn't love the woods they would do something else with the 4 year degree it now requires. JMO

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree John, that would be a real tough job to have. Especially during the raccoon season... Can you imagine walking into the woods after dark to talk to some people you know have guns? :eek:oooh: Thats not a job for me! rollo

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree and disagree to a point. If conducted properly and everyone STAYS where they are suppose to be it is a very effective means to kill deer otherwise un-killable. If not organized, it is and can be very dangerous.

16. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    indeed...BUT.no matter how good u r or they r.. $hit happens...i lost a good friend a couple years ago driving deer...it wasnt pretty..thats all i can say....good luck

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry to hear about that Paul... Hunting always has worried me around others.. But, I think about it more now that im married and have a child.. Hate to hear about things like that especially if it could have been prevented by some means...rollo

18. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Glad too hear know one got in trouble

When we went up to kentucky, there was a game warden who pulled up, he had just killed a coyote with his rifle. And he came up to us and was asking if we caught any fish today. and we told him nope.. and he said so no fish in the boat? we told him no we have not had any luck. ( just the bait fish ). And he said well i guess ill check your license and i just turned 16 and did not have my license yet! but he said its ok im only 16 and 2 weeks. Then he checked everyone else.. went out in his boat and pulled everyone over.. looks like no one got in trouble tho.

However at the nashville dam i heard a game warden arrested a whole group of people who were netting trout... 0_0 he called one of those prisoner transport trucks to take em..

19. GetSirius

GetSirius New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    It seems that most people around here bad talk the wardens. I get the feeling those people are not doing things the way they should. I have always found them to be nice people doing a hard job.

Summer of 2007 I was channel cat fishing all night on a Wisconsin river sandbar. I sleep light and was only 20 feet from my poles with good bells on them. Come to find out in Wisco you have to be awake to be considered able to respond to a fish on the line no matter what kind of alarm device you may have. Well, the warden pulled up in his boat about 6am, looked at my tent and asked if I caught anything while I was sleeping. I did not and told him so, the fish had stopped biting around 11pm and did not start again untill 5am and I was out of the tent by then. He then told me what I had done wrong, asked me not to do it again, looked at the fish I had caught and went on his way. Nice guy.

I know a couple of wardens, Illinois and Wisconsin. They say as long as a person is honest with them they treat the person with respect but soon as they start lying and hiding things, well....

20. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Oh come on guys ... it is just fun and games being a Fish Cop .... :wink: Garry-