messes with your mind - Does heavy live bait come off the fish hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Poppa, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    When fishing large live bait with heavy line and heavy sinker, your
    bait hits the water hard. Do you ever worry that your bait came off
    when it hit the water or at night tore off when you cast and you could
    not see it? That you are sitting there waiting for a bite on a bare hook.
    I end up checking my rods after a while most of the time my baits there
    but sometimes its not. Its just a mind game when the bite is slow. Am I
    paranoid or do all catfisherman have this problem? LOL

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess we have all worried about loosing our baits when we throw them out. Always carry some thread to wrap around cut bait, livers,etc. Makes a difference.

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Yes we have that problem sometimes, we will take little rubber bands and put a couple of wraps around the bait,that seems to help

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I will take some thread and tie it on when I start worrying:wink:

5. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Yup, I worry bout the same thing sometimes. I use that magic thread to help keep the bait on. When my dad would reel in and not have bait on the hook he would say he was "fishin' on credit"...lol :roll_eyes:

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I tie mine on also. That worked great for me last year. generally reeled back in after lost bites and had only the string on the hook or had to cut string to get bait off.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah that happens to me sometimes,your torn cause you just casted out and dont want to reel it in if its got bait on but on the other hand you dont want it to sit out there if theres nothing on it so what do you do?Most of the time ill go ahead and reel it in and check better safe then sorry.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've heard and used the fishing on credit saying all my life LOL. We usually use 5 poles apiece and sometimes 7 so the odds are in our favor that most baits stayed on the hook :wink::smile2:, also another reason we check and put on fresh baits every 30 minutes.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    depending on how their hooked ill usually hook them in the head to keep that from happining. if im questional on loosing bait in the dark a pretty good indication is your ears, most all of the time when your bait flies off there will be a huge delay in splashes of the bait and sinker. if you hear two seperate splashes better reel in and check.

10. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I worry about my bait every time I cast out. I get unbelievably paranoid if the fish aren't biting.
    Did my bait fly off?
    Did I cast to hard and kill my live bait?
    Is my bait caught up on a snag?
    Maybe the hook is to big?
    Maybe the hook is to small?
    Is my cut bait fresh enough?
    Maybe my cut bait should be a little rank?
    Maybe the fish are in the shallows?
    No maybe the fish are out deep?
    Maybe I put some hand lotion on before I went fishing and now my bait smells like cherry vanilla?
    And here I thought fishing was suppose to be relaxing.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    lol that was a funny post littleman... I have thought most of those at one time or another. Generally when fishing with life bait you can give it a little tug and get your bait to tug back. I don't cast all that far or hard to ever lose my bait. I can't really imagine how a bluegill or goldfish would come off while casting if you hook it through the back behind the dorsal fin.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when i use live bait i can usually feel the bait move or swim a little after the cast, that way i know its still there