Messed up catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Jul 23, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I havent posted latley,its been kind of crazy around here.Anyway i went fishing today and i caught these two small channel cats about 10 to 12 inches long.Both of these two cats had pieces of there tail fin missing and were bleeding and a small chunk out of there anal fin missing and they were bleeding also,on both of them.Any ideas as to why?You think they had been fighting another fish or a bigger cat was trying to eat them for dinner or what?
    These wounds looked fresh i mean blood was comming out of them when i got them out of the water.I know one of them will make it but im not quit sure about the other but i put them back in and they seemed ok.Oh this is a lake i was fishing in managed by the Kentucky fish and wildlife any thoughts?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Any of your responses are possible and if you were fishing a rocky are stumpy area it is possible that they were pulled through them.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have also caught a few like this and wondered maybe it is due to spawning.

4. mudgut

mudgut New Member

State:
    oh
    i have seen turtles do this

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Might be smething sharp in the lake that you drag them across. old jug or bucket. It could be about anything.

6. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I actually had something like that happen to some bream I was using for bait. I'd check em and a small part of their tailfin was missing. It turned out to be turtles. Your situation might be a lot different though. It could have been a bigger fish trying to get them (they were being reeled and fish can sense fish in distress) as you were reeling them in. They were pretty small fish so it could have been that or the cover in which you were reeling them in through. Tons of possibilities...

7. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    Not that it is a poll or anything but I vote for turtles...:lol:

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I'd bet that it's turtles also. I once had a turtle still attached to the tail of a 18 pound blue cat i had caught on a jug line.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I am gonna say spawning, they really tear themselves up during it.

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I caught a lot of fish that were super tore up from the spawn...ones that were 10lbs even. They were missing chunks of their fins and had all sorts of gashes. There isn't much on the IL river that is going to try to swallow a 10lb channel cat.

11. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Man its one of those brain teasers that you cant get out of your head until you find out you know what i mean?lol.I never thought about it being a turtle thats a possability.Are they spawning this time of year?Some of you mintioned that and i did catch a few females last week that had eggs in them so that makes alot of sense.It is rocky around the bank but i dont think thats what done it because the wounds were almost in the exact same spot on both fish i just thought that was to strange,so i guess mybe they are spawning.Do they get that way from fighting or mating during the spawn?

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    yeah i agree with the rest... most likely its turtles... and its not those big huge snappers... its the little POS stinkpots and painteds...

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I got a white cat today that had all of his whiskers missing and I cant see any way it happened unless maliciously done by another fisherman?

14. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's hard to say without looking at the fish, so I'm going along with all you fellas. However, if it is small, and bleeding, it sounds like a possible flathead bait to me. Good fishing, Jack.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... Rocky bottom, damage to the lower tail fin and anal fin...

I am guessing they were fanning the bottom with their tails to clear an area for spawn.

This is really common for black bass and some other fish, but don't see why it wouldn't apply to cats as well.

16. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    imma have to go with A on this one and say turtles as well....:)

17. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Fish dont mate, the male goes in cleans out a rock, female comes in and lays the eggs, male swims over, feralizes them, and guards the entrance while the female lays on the eggs... Right guys... just what i have always put together?

18. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    Were Both the fish marked in the same way and spots? Here in VA when they stock channels they cut part of fins to be able to ID the yr. they were stocked. I have never heard of them marking a tail fin - but it is possible. In one of our lakes here, a cut pectoral fin IDs a cat stocked in '05 and a cut adipose fin is an '04 fish. Have they stocked in your waters lately? Just my $.02 worth...

19. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah they stocked it a few weeks ago but i wouldnt think they would still be bleeding unless i irritated the area when i caught them,i guess thats possible.The spot where i caught both of them was right under this floating bucket looking thing the fish and wild life put out for the geese and ducks to use.the base is like abig square that looks like some kind of foam im not sure but its got this cut out bucket that the geese and ducks can get in and roost and what not.I caught both by casting right beside that thing,not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.I thought mybe they had been fighting for the cover but now im not so sure.

20. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    What kinda rig you using? You may be cutting the fish with your line/leader. Or it could be turtles, or the spawn. That's wierd they were so fresh.