Messed it up this morning

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by KittenFishin, Apr 26, 2006.

1. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    I really messed it up this morning.... My boyfriend took me turkey hunting this morning.. The first gobbler we got on never would come to us and we ending up spooking a hen near by.. Then we spooked the next gobbler we got on.. Well we hunt on a lake and on our way back to the boat landing we saw a gobbler struting on the edge of the lake. I couldn't of asked for a more perfect set up. He was struting on a beach and there was an adjacent beach that we got out on that hid us from the gobbler because there was a cliff in between the two beaches.. Well all I had to do was peak around the edge of that cliff and shoot him. On the other side of the cliff was the lake so it wasn't an easy shot. Well I shot... then I fell in the lake... He dropped... but by the time i could get to him he had took off running... Well needless to say.. I never caught up to him... I was pretty disappointed.. I guess I didn't make a good shot... I could of gotten to him if I hadn't of fallen in the lake... I was pretty disappointed...

2. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    But through all that disappointment... I'll never forget how beautiful he was strutting on that beach... It was a beautiful morning too!!

3. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Laurie sorry to hear about the bird that got away. It happens to all of us at one time or another. However not sure how many of us have fallen in a lake after taking a shot. :0a20: A coulple years ago after a morning hunt the wind slamed the boat up againt a tree and I did the early season swim as well. Still out on the lake hunting beats the best day of work. Keep after them and I am sure you'll get plenty more cracks at those big ole birds.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Good story, funny, not for the turkey maybe but I would of loved to have seen that one unfold. lol

5. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Laurie, that's bout the funniest story i've ever heard. Kinda makes up for the dozen birds i've spooked off by standing up when they were coming in behind me without gobbling. But then it's the hunting and the companionship that makes the day great, not the shooting.

6. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    Yeah I think I would like to have seen that too! :)

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Sorry you didn't get your bird. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of you in the lake would you? Surely your boyfriend took some before helping you out right? :lol:

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Too bad you didn't get the Turkey but I bet you will remember the swim for years to come!:roll_eyes: :0a20: