Mermet Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ldw45, May 11, 2009.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    They are pumping into the lake presently. The big cats are feeding around the swift water. If you are close it just might be worth checking out. Skip Jack can be netted around the area of the swift water as well.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The state ever get that darn curly-leaf under control down there? It sure was bad a few years ago, looked like ya could walk across it.....Stinking invasive plants and critters anyway...... That always was a great fishery used to go every spring with my uncle down for a few days, back about 35 years ago or so.

3. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randy,
    Presently there isn't any pads or moss...... don't know what will develop. The lake is nearly full. A great thing about this lake is that you can use larger motors as long as you move around at idle speed....no wake.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dean thanks for the update. I learned something today. I never knew that Mermet had skipjack in it. Mermet was one of the best lakes in the country for cats, crappie, bluegill and bass, before the big fish kill a couple of years back. It was restocked and should be getting better with time.

5. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Randy they found that the weeds were being fertilized from farmer fields runoff. They have now worked this out with the area farmers. It was happening when they pumped water from the ditches to the lake. They sprayed all of the south end, east and west this year but not the north. It looks good for now.

6. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mickey,
    I saw a fellow get half a 5 gallon bucket in a couple casts just standing on the bank and throwing into the south side of the pipe where water being pumped into the lake. That is what most were catching the catfish on. I used some small bluegill that worked well also. An old fellow in the area told me the crappie bite well when they are pumping into the lake as well.

7. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dean for the info. They should hit a sabiki rig also. I'll have to give it a try. I drove down yesterday after reading your post. They have now stopped pumping. I talked to a man and his wife and they both had a limit of channel.