Mermentau River

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by WildWillie, Feb 17, 2007.

1. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Any one fished this river? Any catfish? We're in the RGV now and looking for a good RV Park with good catfishin' in south LA.

Thanks
    Will

2. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Will,
    Sure haven't fished over there. Wish I knew something about it. We pretty much hang around the Mississippi River. I know Scout fishes south of New Iberia near Intercoastal City and catches Cats in Vermillion Bay. Hope you get an opportunity to jerk some whiskers. Good Luck

3. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    WildWillie, Denny is my old fishing partner, but I now too, live in the RGV. Donna to be exact. Man, the locals here sure don't target catfish. I always see them fishing for gar!!

I tried Delta Lake yesterday but didn't have any luck. I used to have a really good spot, but it's fenced in now.

Next weekend we are getting the sister-in-law to watch the kids for a few hours so we can go scout some spots. There has got to be some good spots there, and I rarely see anyone fishing there.

4. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Although we're near the bay, I am still looking for kitties down here. (RGV) We tried the floodway yesterday. I think it comes off of the Rio Grande somewhere upstream. Where we went is off FM 1420 between Rio Hondo and Port Mansfield. Someone told me that a friend catches kitties in it around Sebastion (think that's right). There is a water sill that has a good flow over it upstream from 1420. Good lookin spot, but someone was already at the spillway when we got there. I may try it at night a couple times. All I caught yesterday was a small bowfin and a fish eel. I think we will move to Arroyo City in early March. I think the Arroyo-Colorado is all saltwater, but we'll find out. Don't know if you've been there or not, but the river is beautiful below the Harlingen Port.

Will

5. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    There is a canal that runs behind my house. I found a map online that shows that it loeads directly to the Rio Grande. If the weather is nice I might try it out next weekend.

6. Cajun Tater

Cajun Tater New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm from Lake Arthur and since Rita hit the fishing has not been good. Major fish kill on the river system. It may be different this year we will just have to see.

Myers Landing in Lowery La is the place to go with you RV. It has a small store for your everyday needs and bait. It is quite and right on the water with a excellent boat ramp, with good access to Grand Lake, a good place for cats.

Take hwy 14 from Lake Charles to and follow thw signs to Lowery,
    if you make there let me know how it went.

Cajun Tater

7. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Great! That's the park I was looking at. We're probably gonna pull out of the RGV sometime in April. I've had lot's of good Mexican food down here, I'm ready for some Cajun cookin'. Thanks.

Will