Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to the South County area, and I planned on trying to fish by the house here on the Meremac, and probably out the Mississippi. Anyone have any luck around these parts? Never been fishing this far downstream on the Meremac, any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I have tried on many occasions to catch catfish from the Meremac, with very little success. If you have a boat, several folks on here use the Flam City ramp to get out on the Mississippi an fish the wing dikes.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have caught blues at the entrance of the Meremac to the Mississippi and some on the flats by the Flam City access. I mostly just head out to the big river though. That is a great stretch of water right there on the Mississippi. There are some big fish hanging around out there. Good luck out there Jon.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Can't help U out on your quest for Mr Kitty on the Mermac .Never fished that far down .But I can say WELCOME to the BOC. Good to have you joining us.Check out the libary,the Missouri Forum,The Gateway Cats Site and especally the Missouri Garthering in the BOC Members Garthering Forum. Hope you can join us in May. AGAIN WELCOME!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
First, get a map of the area. There is another access at George Winter County Park off of 141. There are large deep holes at the park and below the Hwy 21 bridge form the gravel operations. The river gets pretty thin in places. The gar came from the Meramac just down from the bridge.
Down by Flamm ramp you could get anything because it is close to the Miss. Most people go on out into the Miss river if they have enough motor.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
There are several guys from around where I live that catch some big flatheads out of the Maramec River down towards the Mississippi area, or atleast that's where I am guessing they are. I've never made it down there to fish, but one of these days I'll start doing that I'm sure.

·
Registered
242 Posts
you are in a pretty good place to fish... my advice would be to just head out into the big river.. but if that make you nervous.. as long as the water is up.. head up river and fish for bluegill. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are some big fish in that area of the meremac. I knew I would catch a big one some day, but if I would have know it was going to be so big, and so soon I would have bought a bigger scale. The flathead in my avatar is from the lower meremac.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've never done all that well on the Merramec either. Too many big blues out in that big river. I do know there are some nice shovelheads come out of the lower half though.

Buck, thats the biggest gar I've seen around these parts. DANG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.