Mercury warnings in todays florence morning news this morning...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bellymeat, Jun 29, 2008.

1. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    killed my catfish stew tonight.

Invited 16 (usually have about 20). Eight came, and 3 of us ate catfish stew. My famous stew bombed tonight because of the publicity of MERCURY IN YOUR VEINS.

I've known for YEARS that the blues in the pee dee river, black creek, little pee dee, lynches river and the wacammaw have had HIGH levels of mercury in them. That why I NEVER keep a blue cat unless its young and healthy OR caught out of a lake.

Channels on the other hand have a very different diet than blues...

THats why i fish stink baits instead of live or cut bait most of the time in the pee dee. Flatheads almost have the same diet as a blue... Although they have not been named for excessive mercury, I believe that could be the case.

NOW... for whatever reason some creeks and rivers have had excessive mercury levels in channels. But SO far the great pee dee has not been one of them. Lynches river (eat no channels) and black creek you can eat them once a week.....

I guess it just depends on what "industry" is up river and what they are dumping into our streams.

For more info go to : http://www.scdhec.gov/environment/water/fish/map.htm

Eat Smart.... Eat beef jerky.

later....
    Ron

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The whole fish mercury thing is pretty scary.

The mercury comes down with rain, so it's pretty much everywhere, but for some reason it seems to concentrate in fish more in some rivers than in others. Somebody told me once that it had to do with water chemistry: black water rivers seem to have more mercury in the fish.

Be careful when you read the advisories. Just because it doesn't say a species of fish is contaminated, does not mean it's OK. DHEC tests as much as they can, but they have limited time and money (and with the lousy economy, our wonderful governor's budgets have been real hard on them lately). If they test a kind of fish and they come out clean, then they will list that in the advisories. If a fish is not listed at all, that means it wasn't tested, and they could be bad or OK.

Basically, smaller fish are less contaminated than bigger fish. And if it lists one catfish as contaminated in a water body, personally I would that they all are.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah that is bad to hear. I am glad I am not a big fish eater. I really just like catching them and eatin them occasionally.

4. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I found.

What is mercury?
    Mercury is a naturally occurring element, which is found in soil, rocks, lakes, streams and oceans. In addition to natural sources, mercury is released into the atmosphere and water from man-made sources, such as coal burning generating stations, mining and smelting operations and pulp and paper processing.

How does mercury get into fish?
    Mercury enters water through precipitation and settles to the bottom of streams and oceans. Microorganisms turn the mercury into methyl mercury (toxic form). Fish consume methyl mercury through their diet and/or absorb it from the water. Predatory
    fish (fish that eat other fish) and older fish generally contain higher leve ls of methyl mercury. Methyl mercury is then passed on to humans when they eat these fish.

SO this new coal plant they want, needs to go away. And let them find another source for energy. The pee dee is contaminated enough from dupont and the paper mill. Plus who knows whats up stream.

later...
    Ron

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The coal plant will pollute, but not our fish. Because of the way the atmosphere moves everything around, our Mercury pollution comes from plants a hundred or a couple of hundred miles west of us.

And besides, if they do it right, coal plants can be just as clean as any other. As big a tree hugger as I am, I am surprised to see me writing this, but with the cost of oil going through the roof, what are we supposed to do? We need the power from somewhere!

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree John people want the cake and eat it to. There are hundreds of houses a day being built but people dont see the need to build more power plants it has to come from somewhere. I wish they would dam the pee dee up above I95 like they had origannally planned giving us a big catfishing paradise I probablly would neve make it back to sanee.JK I work at the paper mill here n Florence and I do agree that we do some polluting but we are also the 3nd largest employer in the Pee Dee Area and I think that accounts for alot. We are a coal fired plant and generate electricity for most of the pee dee area but we also are spending MILLIONS of dollars a year to help make our enviromental footprint smaller ans smaller. Just last year we put in a $20million dollar set of evaporators that virtually elimanate harmful particles and gases to be released into the air and at the same time reducing waste and energy use by 50%. We do need more power plants and sinse there are only 2 kinds Coal, and Nuculear and they havent built a Nuculear plant sinse the late 70's I am sure it will be a coal fired plant. I hate to hear that it is harmful to eat the fish out of our local river but I am thankful for the job that I have so that I can at least go fishing.

7. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    This fine state of ours and every other state in this country is in a fine mess when it comes to enviromental issues. I personally think that the whole thing boils down to people and industries as a hole are living and developing way to fast 30 yrs. ago life was a lot simpler. U think we have issues now wait another 20 to 30 yrs. I hope I will still be around to see what it is like and still be able to get around and enjoy our outdoors here in SC.I pray every day that we will not end up destroying what we have that has been given to us by the ones who were here before us.

PEEDEE CAT

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with you totally, Greg. Population growth, especially in the coastal states, is crazy. The rate Charleston is growing, I have no idea where we will put all the people in another few years! They are building on every available piece of land (and the home prices are still so high that a first time home buyer is screwed) and all those people need electricity, water, sewers, gas, roads, schools, and on and on and on . . .

Scary stuff. I hope the area is still livable in another 10 years.

9. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    I live within 3 miles of the proposed powerplant and I would like to see it here because simply this area needs jobs. Most of the disagreement around here is the same old saying "not in my backyard"so it's either unemployment or jobs. I may be wrong but thats my opinion.

10. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess I'm in the minority here....

Screw the envrironment for jobs. I guess that's what most of you are saying...

Ok here's my take. If you need a job, go into business for yourself. In 1988 thats what i did. In florence there were no jobs that paid a decent wage. I was not going to gamble my families future on waiting for some "business" to offer me a job. So I went out an started a business.....

If you can't find a JOB in this area then you need to move where your abilities are appreciated.

I do not buy into this "lets create jobs and ruin the environment" nonsense.

IF you did not get enough training in high school, college, military, then create your own opportunity if you want to stay in this area.

I'm really tired of people saying, that the Pee Dee Region owe's them a job.

The pee dee region owes no one anything. Get training, start your own business, or move on..

later...
    Ron

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ron I dont believe I personally said anything about the Pee Dee area owing me a job. I just simply stated that I happened to work at the Paper Mill of which I chose to go work there. I had a perfectlly good job before I chose to go there and I like where I work and it is the reason I have the money and time to fish 2-3 times a week so I can keep catching the bigguns out of the Pee Dee River of which I love. So I say eat your Fish Stew and dont worry about the Mercury level because apparently it hasnt bothered you before it has the same warning on the fish out of there for the last 10 years the just happened this year to put up a sign at the boat landings.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am not at all in favor of "screwing the environment" for jobs. That's not what I ever said. My point was more or less that with the tremendous growth around here lately, the need for power is increasing, too, and it is simply not realistic to think that we could do without...

Also, there are many real environmental concerns we should all be sorried about, and I feel that it hurts "the cause" when people react irrationally without the correct facts. By that I mean - people are opposing the new power plant because they think it will be responsible for more mercury in the Pee Dee River - this is simply not true. It might add mercury to the world as a whole, it might be responsible for adding mercury to king mackerel swimming in the Atlantic, but the emissions from a plant in SC will have little or no effect on mercury levels in SC. There may well be other very good reasons to oppose the plant.

13. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    why do you think Santee Cooper had modified its original proposal.... BECAUSE their original design polluted the he11 out of our riiver...

Enviromental groups all all over this issue because of the high level of toxins going directly into our environment.

James: I didn't say anything about your job.... All I said is the community at large always claims the gov owes them something. And I will continue to eat my stew... thanks..

John: So what you're saying is that it doesn't pollute our environment but lets pollute someone elses... That makes no sense.... AND IT WILL EFFECT our local environment, check out the report below.

Read this: http://cleanenergysc.blogspot.com/

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK - I know you have to read between the lines on my posts a bit, and I concede that you know more about the particulars of this case than I do.

What I am saying is simply this: the thread started about mercury. I have heard a lot of misinformation being spread around about how the new plant will add more meercury to the already mercury laden waters of the Pee Dee - which is not true.

All power plants pollute. Never said they don't. The fact that the original pland had to be modified is a good thing. People were paying attention and forced them to clean things up. Good.

I don't like polution, but unless we can stop population growth in the area, then there's going to be a need for more power, more housing, more everything. Best we can do is try to force the industries to be as clean as possible.

World wide we are on the brink of an energy reorganization. Unless we come up with new technologies real soon (and decentralize the whole mess), we are going to be paying $10/gallon for gas and everything else will go up, too. Basically almost all of the energy we use for everything comes ultimately from burning some sort of fossil fuel. (I don't know the percentages, but I bet it's like 90%?) That has to totally change in the next few years (hybrid cars are at best a temporary bain-aid) or our way of life is screwed.

I really think we agree for the most part, but are agrueing over the details. Remeber the old story of the three blind men and the elephant? I have hold of the trunk, James is holding the tail and you are a hold of the side...

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    who gets the ribs they are good whith a little slow smokking

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Elephant ribs?
    Don't think I could fit a rack on my grill.
    That would take one heck of a smoker.

17. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Everyone is worried about the enviroment so am I . I was raised on Pee Dee river all my life and I love it as much or more than most . There is rarely a day that I don't just drive there and just look at the water.
    My daddy took me on Pee Dee before I could even sit in a seat by myself.
    My point is look at the Santee Lakes there is more wildlife than you can see at any given time the fishing is great and the power plant sits right on the bank.My wife and I camp there two or three times a year and we love it. So there must be a way to resolve this matter of the power plant here.
    If I have offended anyone I am sorry and I apolagize for it.

18. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess the only person you could offend is me... Because I'm the only one who looks at this new plant as a "bad thing".

So if its me your talking about "I'm not offended".

And I really didn't mean to start a "mercury war". I'm easy going and laid back. AND I'm kinda strange.... My take on life is ALOT different from most people.... I'm a pastor (computer programmer by trade) I think of things in a lot different perspective (and I DON'T agree alot of the time with the Christian Church). SO you see I pretty much stay in trouble.

Anyway.... I'm not sure why Santee does not have the same issues the Pee Dee does. I know that santee is under a mercury advisory.

Maybe because of the number of gallons of water santee has it dillutes the mercury. Not sure. But I do know large mouth bass and mudfish should not be eaten more than once a week. So no mudfish stew for me!

I just hate to see our only major river here in the pee dee turn into a cesspool.

I guess the real problem I have is this: I know of one local seafood place selling pee dee catfish.... NOW you know these cats have mercury of some sorts in them. If this plant comes here the mercury levels will increase. Pregnant mothers and small children should not eat them at ALL now! Mercury is not something to play around with and you know the seafood markets don't care (and won't tell you where the fish came from, and if they do they always say farm raised).

I wouldn't want my unborn child, my kids, or my grandkids to be affected by something thats beyond my control. But most people who buy fish do not care or are uneducated about the perels of mercury.

Take care....
    Ron

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree 100% with you on that Ron. I just dont understand how they can keep seeling those fish at the seafood restaurants without having the warnings posted in there. I might check with DHEC on that.

20. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Well Pop Pop agrees that we don't want to hurt the environment, but to shed some light on things a new plant will not hurt anything. This is just my opinion. Before I retired I was a State licensed Waste Water operator. A class licensed and can tell ya for a fact The State and Federal Gov. Will not allow discharges of harmful mercury into any water. Discharges like that are a thing of the past we all deal with now. Trust me all plant are strongly monitored. Every PH, button mashed, every chart, I mean everything !!, and anything you sign follows you for life!