Mercury shifter trauma!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Rookie12, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I got a 2004 Trakcer Pro Guide V-16 with a Mercury 50 ELPTO on it and I'm gutting it to pt down the eco-stuff flooring and get rid of the carpet. My question is that I can't seem to get the shifter apart to get it out. I already broke the dang little button at the base of the shifter that you have to hold in to get it into neutral. You hold in that button and the other button that you hold in to shift into forward or reverse and then shift it forwards or back and it is in neutral. I have to get the side piece off that this connects to and it won't come out because of the shifter cable still hooked up. I got it peeled back enough to see that there is a big silver box thing that all this hooks to and I took out three 5/16" bolts that hold the shifter to the box, but can't figure out how to get the shifter out. After I broke the tab off the that button, I see a big brass nut in there and I think when I take it loose it will come apart. My question is how do I get it back together with a new button. You can't get to that nut with the button on there. Sorry if the description sucks, but that's what I got to work with. Please help, and I hope I can buy just that shifter button and not have to buy the whole dang assembly. Please help quick!!! I hope to have this thing back together by this weekend or sometime early next week. Thanks!!!!!!!!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take it to a shop and get it done. Those side mounts are a bear to get off, and yes you can get the part you broke replaced.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If you cant afford to take it to the shop go online and get a manual. I bought an online version of my manual and love it. www.seloconline.com

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Well, I got it figured out, you have to put the thing in neutral and then push both buttons to get into "throttle only mode" and then you can pop the button out. i called today about the part and it's only around 4 bucks. I got the nut off to get the shifter out of my way. going back out in a minute to tear off the rest of the decks for the recovering. Thanks fo the input. I'm not taking my boat to a shop for something that simple. I wrench on trucks for a living and there ain't no little shifter gonna' woop me! Thanks again!

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You must not have the Commander controls because what you just described made absolutely no sense to me at all. :lol: Glad you got it taken care of though.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Glad to see you figured out your particular shifter. Start investigating things a little closer before you break something more expensive. My advise on taking it to a shop was because of the fact you already broke a minor item.

Boat builders are an arrogant breed, and make things to suit themselves. They don't give a damn how difficult they make it on you when it comes to maintenance.

Good luck in finishing your boat:big_smile: