Mercury shifter handle

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfever, Feb 24, 2007.

1. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    I have been thinking about getting a new mercury 25 efi, but my uncle has had trouble with the built in shifter in tiller arm on his 25 merc 2 stroke, what are the pros and cons of this type of shifter, is it something to give trouble down the road, thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I haven't heard of any problems with them. He may have got one made on monday ( coming back into work after a drunkin weekend) or made on friday. ( paying attention to clock for quitting time):big_smile:

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Nope, not heard of anything wrong with the tiller shift. I saw one that had a tilt release problem that was cured with a minor adjustment.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have operated these type motors for thousands of hours with no problem but icing in single digit weather.Spray will freeze on and ice will get in the way.I learned to spray the motor down with liquid Turtle Wax ahead of time.It seem to be a big help as most of the ice didn;t stick or it fell off.Now,you have to do it in warmer weather as the wax "don;t do" in any way in real cold weather,unless they have changed it."Thompson's Water Seal" also works on many things.If you paint it every day,a day will come when it will run off like you are painting glass.It is now water proof and Ice resistant,unless you have missed a place glassing.Has to be redone every fall for the coming winter.Heavy grease works where suitable.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee