Mercury question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by steve_b124, Feb 22, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have a Merc that I first bought in 93, and then again this week. It is marked on the cowling Mercury 40. It is a 4 cylinder motor with 2 carbs. When I bought it in 93 the dealer said that it was actually a 50hp motor marked 40 to keep it seperate from the normal 2 cyl. 50hp motor when people came in for parts. He said it was called the "fisherman's friend" because it could slow troll better than the 2 cyl. motors could. Does anyone know any info on these motors? It's been a good motor since new. As best I remember it was aleft over model, like 89 or 90 model when I bought it in 93.

I have a problem with the tilt\trim on it now. When I raise or lower the motor, it will move a little ways and then the relay drops out and will not move. The motor does not turn or anything when it stops, and does not get hot. After pushing the button several times it will move again. I am going to go through it tomorrow, I really think I have a bad connection somewhere.

Any thoughts on the tilt?

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    sounds like a bad switch or the motor going bad.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    First clean all the connections real good and then if its not working in the up or down position then I would start with an ohm meter on the button or toggle switch to see if its getting power and go from there. I have been know to take a hammer and slightly tap the motor and if it starts to work then its most likely the brushes in the motor itself.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I'm not mistaken there's a thermal limiter (like a circuit breaker) in the trim motor. If there's resistance in the pivots it'll work the motor hard enough to trip it. I'd unhook the cylinder and manually lift the engine to see if it's tough to move. If so lube as necessary till it's smooth and put it back together. perhaps there's a grease zert you've been missing????

5. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks guys,

I didn't work on it yesterday, I don't like to on Sunday. I plan to check it out this afternoon. I did find that a local alternator shop rebuilds them if needed.

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I released the hydraulics on the tilt with the screw on the lower side, as it said in the manual. The motor was very hard to lift up, even with the screw backed out several turns. I tried to put grease in the pivot point, but coud not get it take more than 2 shots. I checked the grease fitting, it seems ok. When I depresed the ball in the fitting, grease came out. I think that the grease must have set up in the pivot. I worked it up and down by hand several times, but could never get grease to go in. With the motor up and pressure off the tilt, the motor will run fine in both directions. After working it several times by hand, the tilt would move it a little at the top of the stroke, but not at the bottom - motor down position.

Steve

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like it may have some water in it and has seized on you. You may have to tear the system down and clean it all out.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    may be rusted internally. i would break it down and clean out all of the old grease and clean it all out with some bearing cleaner. let it dry out and then re-assmle and put some new grease in it. should help out some.

9. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    We had a similar problem with the steering pivots on our boat. Grease had dried out and wouldn't accept new grease.
    We are close to a big rig garage, so we took it down there and had them use their air pressure grease gun on it. The pressure forced new grease in and freed it up. we worked it some and kept pumping high pressure grease in it until it was nice and smooth. Works fine now.

10. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Well, my problems turned out to be quite a few more $'s than I expected. The motor and pump are 1 sealed unit on this model, and mine is fried. Replacement cost for a new part is $716. I found a used part, guaranteed for 90 days, for $350 and bought it. It should be installed by late afternoon.