Mercury motor on Mariner mount

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jrgriffhusker, Oct 29, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I found a mid 70's model 100 HP Mercury to replace my 86 Mariner 150 HP. The mercury doesn't have power tilt. Can I change out motors and use my power tilt that is currently on my boat?
    Also the present owner of the motor says that it doesn't have a pisser stream coming out the back of the motor. He said he talked to a marine shop and they told him that on some models this is normal. Is that true???
    Now last question. Besides hearing it run and checking for compression is there anything else I should check out before I finalize the deal? I've heard of people buying a motor only to find out that it didn't go into gear. Is there a way to check for this with just the ears on? These may sound silly but I'd just as soon not throw away a few hundred bucks.

2. Ken G

Ken G New Member

I can't find where Mercury ever made a 100hp motor in the mid '70s. They made a 100hp in 1965, '68, and '69 that were all inline 6 cylinders. I'm guessing your Mariner 150 is a V6.

I would also doubt that your T/T unit would be interchangeable unless it is an aftermarket unit. Merc's in the 70's still used transom clamps and some bolts and by the mid 80's the boating industry changed the mounting bolt pattern to a standard pattern used by all manufacturers. To complicate it more Mercury used 3 different T/T types from '65 thru '91.

I have 3 old Merc's made in '70, '73, and '77 and all have a pee tube and I'm pretty sure my dad had a 1960 Merc when I was a kid that pee'd also.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Save your few hundred dollars.

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey i got a 150 mariner that runs for sale! i think its a 86 model to!

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well unless hell freezes over I doubt the women will let me buy your motor. Sorry to far to go. I wish you the best in selling it.