Mercury motor help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by boliver, Aug 28, 2006.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I recently bought a boat with a 125 mercury motor motor is 2001 mercury cruiser. it had been settting for about 9 mo. I put the motor in a large tub and it seemed to run fine. When I put the boat in the water it seems to lope at idle and doesn't top out like it should it tops at about 30mph and has a hard time getting on plane with 3 adults in it. It is on a17 ft vip fish and ski.I didn't drain gas, not sure how to.is this a probility or is itmore likely the carbs are dirty or something else? Thanks for any ideas . Boliver

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You need to get all that old gas you can out and put in fresh gas and then add some sea foam to it and see if you can clean the fuel system out that way. If you can't get it to level out after this and a good tune up then its carb rebuild time. I would also install a fresh set of plugs and use NGK plugs for it. Those old mercs loved thos NGK plugs.

3. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    Thanks Bubba, I was thinking that old gas might be the problem but at the gas prices i sure hated to drain and try disposing of it. what is sea foam and where can it be found. I have heard of it on this site but never used it. thanks again. boliver

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Harrell, I was in Auto Zone the other day and picked up some Sea Foam. I can't ever remember to look at Walmart to see if they have it or not.

st

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Wal-mart doesn't carry it yet but most other auto parts stores do. It comes in a red and white can and you can also get it in aresol its called Deep Creep,

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you don't clean those carbs, you may never know how good that motor runs. A lean running carb will blow an engine.

Seafoam is good, but it's no replacement for peace of mind.

At the same time, get that water pump done.

7. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure what it needed, I will drain gas and take it and have the carbs cleaned. I'm sure its suppost to do better than it did saturday. thanks again boliver

8. catfishslayer

catfishslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey after you clean the carbs and ge her all tuned up if you still have problems you might want to look into changing props or talking to someone who works on props to see what the best pich is for your boat i had a buddy whos boat would take off for anything he changed the prop and it took off great sounds crazy but changing to a different pich worked out..Godd Luck!

9. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would also do what Bob said change that Impeller and clean the carb out .Might also check the Fuel line's on the motor and the Primer Bulb sometime's they get old and collapse at speed and restrict the fuel flow .

10. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I agree with everyone else . just a coment. 30mph is close to what it will run, with engine tuned it should plan quicker but my old bayliner with 125 mercursier went about 30mph. maybe because we ski and had a holeshot type prop. but you will prob want that also. I have a four winns 18 now with 190 mercursier it will only run 45mph or so. Thats why I think carbs and gas because it will go it's just rough.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    A friend of mine just had the same problem you have. He went on deployment without putting stabil in his gas and when he got back the engine ran like crap. He drained all the gas out, cleaned the fuel filter and ran some carb cleaning stuff through the engine. It runs great now, I think he only worked on it for a couple hours. I would definitely change the impeller though, its not a hard job except the shift shaft can be a pain to line back up. I just replaced mine and I'm glad I did because the original one was getting a little worn out. Good luck.