Mercury/ Mariner

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jrgriffhusker, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I'm thinking of buying a mid 70's Mercury inline 6 cylinder 150 hp that has no controls.
    I have a 80's Mariner on my ebko with electric tilt/trim it is a V-6 150 hp.

Will my controls work on this unit? And do you think $500 is a good price for the motor without controls? "He said it ran before he took it off the other boat with a bad transom"

I'm going to take pictures of my motor setup, controls, gas lines, and oil line setups. And then compare them to the other motor. Please chime in with the advice. I know there are a lot out there that have or know how to either make this work, or to save my money.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got an 87 Mariner.
    Damn good engine. Most reliable I ever owned.

Some of the parts are discontinued and can be difficult to find.
    Ran into that with a trim pump and motor.
    If it was available it would have been a grand or better in parts.
    Ol Bobpaul found me one on Ebay I got for 140.
    Pure luck.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Mark, we got lucky on that one.

husker, I'm thinking your set up will fit right in.
    Somehow, get a compression, and spark test on that engine, and get ready to clean the carbs and a water pump.

That 500.00 engine is gonna cost you near 1000.00 right off, and if it doesn't run, it's got zero hp:wink:

4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I just got off the phone with a guy who told me he had the same motor as mine, and he'd give it to me for 450. But he said it needed the brain boxs. Well since I have that I'd sure like to get a proof of compression in all cylinders before I bought it tho. Because if it has compression I have a parts motor to get the spark, right?
    Anyways thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd run like hell from that motor.
    Like Bobpaul said. You'll pay that for it and before you blink you'll put another grand in it. Anyway you cut it it's a 30 year old motor that drinks gas compared to what they do now.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You better listen to these guys. That thing is considered now dead weight no matter how you slice and dice it.

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Thanks guys that subject closed. I am still trying to find some way to get my Ebko back in the water. :embarassed:

So if I bought a running motor( I heard run personally) with the controls. Would it be worth it to try and just swap motors out? Or should I just try to get rid of it (My Ebko fish/ski) and find something that is a complete package? Because I found an older boat with a mid 70's 150 with the controls, steering line, gas tanks, and working tilt but the boat is a POS. Floor is falling in and it's a closed bow.:confused2::confused2::confused2:

Thanks again guys for the help.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The condition of the hull would scare me off being that the motor is attached to it.
    It's indicative that the motor received the same care as the boat.
    If the hull is in that bad of shape then the motor has been sitting a long time as well.

If it were me I wouldn't even look at it twice. But that is me and my wallet talking.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If your satisfied with the engine then swap out the motor and controls. It's not too difficult.

Remember, a motor will run like a dream on a hose. Put it in the water and you've got a different animal.

You still need to check Spark and compression on ANY MOTOR.