Mercury Key Switch

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by glenmorebuckman, Feb 24, 2007.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I have a 1969 Mercury Merc 350 35 H.P. outboard that I'm trying to find a new key switch for online. I took the control box apart today to see if I could find a part number and all I could find was a little white sticker on the side that had 130 D51015 wrote on it. I've tried to find this online but haven't had any luck. It's a 6 wire switch with three positions off, run and start. Does anybody know what I need?

2. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    `I almost forgot, it's not a push to choke switch. The choke button is on top of the control box.

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    can't help u with the key , but i got some advice ....... quit fishing and start guiding deer hunts !!!!:big_smile:

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Look closely at the actual switch for a number.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll look in my book tomorrow and find the number for you. As a side note you can use the later model switch on them I just changed over a 1970 650 for a guy and put the choke to the switch also.

6. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
  7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Billy I can't locate the number for a particular switch for that motor but you can pick up a 5 or six wire switch and post what numbers located on the hook up side of the switch and I can tell you what wires to put where.

The switch might have letters on it instead of numbers but I can handle that to. I'll look in the sierra catalog and see if I can locate the switch for you.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Billy the switch that will work with your motor is from the Sierra book and can be ordered from any NAPA auto parts store

MP4 1000 6pole switch and it will work with yours without taking the choke button out.

9. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Thanks a million Bubbakat!!! You're a good man!!!!!!

10. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Ok Bubbakat, I need your help again please! I got my Mp41000 sierra switch today and on the back it has m,b,m,c,i and s. On my Merc. switch it has a,b,c,d,e and f. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the e and f off the old switch will go to the m's on the new one. "A" wire will go to the b post . The b wire on the old will go to the i post on the new. The choke wires aren't important to me because the electric choke linkage that goes from the choke solenoid is missing and I can't find another one, so I just use the manual choke lever. I hope I haven't confused you because as I read this back it confuses the heck out of me!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright now lets work our way thru this.

On your wireing harness you should have a red , yellow , gray, black, orange, white wires in it. Am I right on this.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    After re- reading your post and clearning the cornfusion :lol: away. I do think you are righ on top of it.

The white wire will go to the choke selnoid and it goes to ground to make it work so an M terminal would be the choice.

The yellow wire will go back to the recitfier
    The gray wire should be to the starter selnoid.

13. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I got the switch in today and it works like a charm! A big thank you to Bubbakat for all his help. He's a great guy!