Mercury jet???

Discussion in 'Boating' started by saros2500, Aug 26, 2009.

1. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hey guys i'm looking at a boat that i might be interested in buying. It's a 15 foot grumman that looks fine and has plenty of extras. My main concern is the '97 Mercury 25 horse jet on it. He says it ran fine its whole life but as of 2 weeks ago he can't start it. Does anybody have any experience with older merc jets? I don't want to spend a fortune to get it back in working order. Should i be looking for a more user friendly motor like a 2 stroke outboard? Thanks.

2. 1elkhunter

1elkhunter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo
    Though I have switched to Yamaha, I still have a couple of Mercs of my own. One is a 67' model and one is a 95' transition motor. Mercury is a strong engine but like all they have had a few problems. I'm not the one to tell you "everything will be alright"; however, the chance of it being something catastrophic is slim. If I were the potential buyer I would ask the guy if it would be alright to do a couple of tests to get a feel for cost. Start by checking for spark and then check fuel (before the pump and after, just in case the intake line is plugged). Make sure the motor turns over with and without a spark plug in. From here it gets a bit more complex. It could be a simple kill switch or as bad as a control module. Hope this helps...