Mercury in the water and fish!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Biscuit, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    theres a river about a little over a hr away thats have mercury in the water and fish, if i keep the flats and put them in cleaner waters will the mercury go away? or if they have young will they have mercury in them, thanks

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't think it will come out that easy.

"Mercury concentrates in the muscle tissue of fish. So, unlike PCBs, dioxins and other organic contaminants that concentrate in the skin and fat, mercury cannot be filleted or cooked out of consumable game fish.

This is from somewhere or someone on contaimination write ups.:smile2:

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome aboard Tony.
    No you can not clean out the PCB's and Mercury by keeping fish in fresh water. You can however avoid eating the belly meat, and adhering to the consumption limits set by the EPA. I don't think these chemicals are passed on to the young, but by the time they get to eating size they will have ingested some on their own. The bigger the fish the more they will have. Practice CPR in that river. Find a pond or lake to get your eaters from, thats what I do. :cool2:

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Anthony, were glad your here!!

5. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    i dont plan on eating any of them just tranfaring them to a better river, where theres no pcb's, so the youngs one would be ok after they had young, thats great!!!

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois

I love your sig :haha:

7. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Me my self wouldnt eat any fish from that place. Just catch and release jmo. I like others would get my eating fish from other places.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with jack on this one. read the advisories on the waters you fish. im sure that its illegal to transplant fish into public waters so check the regs on that. thay can really change the eco system with thier eating habits.

9. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I read a good article on another site. Mercury is present in everything. You cut a tree, mow your lawn your releasing mercury. How much was released when the backhoe dug that hole? The USA released over 11 million tons into the air last year. Not just smoke coming from those stacks. And don't break that rock.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC!

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
  12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    anthony,

i admire your efforts and thoughts, but invasive species, even if they are only from a couple miles away, can cause a lotta damage. its a pretty big deal down here on the gulf.

j.d.

13. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Are you talking about the north fork of the holston river ?