Mercury in SC Rivers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, Aug 24, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
  2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    John thanks for the info ,mercury is showing up in all the waters around now ,even in the oceans of the world

3. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yea, funny how the north fork of edisto is one of the highest yet no advisories for
    DHEC.....

4. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Well that explains why i act the way i do, now i can go tell my wife that yrs of eating fish has made me crazy. :confused2: I have one friend that won't eat fish out of Wylie (says they are unclean due to the accidental dumps that have occured) now, this friend is in his 60's and has numerious health issues. Now my other friend, Paul, fishes Wylie all the time and eats all the fish he catches, he says its all bull and the 15 yrs he has been eating the fish hasn't hurt him at all. He is in his 40's and even though he is somewhat thin, he is healthy and strong as a bull. So, who knows, i think they dump to much stuff in all the water ways, How many of you are willing to take a glass and dip in any lake and take a drink????????
    I'm a firm believer in moderation, don't eat to much or drink to much of any one thing.
    Have you ever lifted a lid on a cooler full of catfish in the summer months when they are full of mussles:eek:oooh: They smell so bad that i don'r even want to eat them:smile2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    One of our local river rats got mercury poisoning, eating too many fish from the river here. Almost killed him. I think the blues are the worse for it as they eat the clams which have lots of mercury absorbed in them. Flatties seem to be the safest cats to eat from the river, according to the biologists.

Bill in SC

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Bill, i have always felt that Flatheads are the cleanest, not to mention the uglest, meanest, strongest and smartest fish in our waters. I use to target these fish and wouldn't fish for anything else, 5 fish was considered a Great night. Well i got older and wiser and just included these guys in with my Blue cat fishn. At least i catch more fish now:smile2:
    Oh, did i mention they are probably the best eating to.

That Mercury ain't nothing to play with so people need to heed the warnings.:sad2:

7. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    One more reason to throw back the big ones and eat the little ones, less mercury.

8. InletFool

InletFool New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the info. It is too bad these beautiful rivers aren't more protected. Seems like some method of removal could be figured out and used.
    On the consumption issue, I wished I could catch enough to eat and get sick. Need help on that....

Mitch
    www.RiversTurkeyCalls.net

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC

One more reason to throw back the big ones and eat the little ones, less mercury.

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: Thats funny right there

Mitch, you look like a good guy (don't look like a serial killer or nothin) so if you in the area give me a call and we will go catch enough to eat:big_smile:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's the best news I've heard in a while, Tommy!!!! Thanks!

Bill in SC

11. InletFool

InletFool New Member

State:
    SC
    I am a serial fisherman. Live near lower PeeDee. Love to go. Salt or fresh.