Mercury from Above

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Nov 20, 2008.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Tommy,
    Thanks for the info and the article,

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks Tommy!

I am reminded of a Dr. I was in school with at MUSC years ago. He haled from Michigan and grew up on one of the Great Lakes with his family of 9. He said they were very poor and ate lots of fish from the lake. He became ill shortly after graduation and continued to have deteriorating health for several years. He was found to have high levels of mercury in his body. He is unable to perform his duties as a Dr. now and needs fulltime care.

For those who don't know Mercury is a heavy metal and once ingested and absorbed by the body is there to stay. There is no know way to extract it from the brain where it does the most damage. I have never been much of a fish eater, sorry, but I love to put the smackdown on em'! Be careful how much you eat, even if the state agencys say it's ok. There is no recourse for mercury poisoning. Just fish and throw em' back!

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My theory is to eat smaller fish. Young fish haven't had time to store much mercury in their systems. Just a guess, but I sure love them fried catfishes! :wink:
    BB in SC

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Next time someone starts shouting about "environmental wackos",, think about this thread....

6. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    thankyou

7. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Well if it is my time to go, it is my time to go.
    Pass the fried flathead please...