Mercury Force metal shavings question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Shad Man, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I own a 1993 Mercury Force 40 horse motor. It is all original and I bought it two years ago. My question is about the metal shavings that I find in the lower unit when I change it every year. They have always been in there and the motor has ran the same way since I got it. When I put the boat in gear you can hear it but the motor never slips or makes noise once you are moving. Is this normal or do I have something else going bad.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I had always had some metal shavings in the lower unit oil, not much but just a little bit on the vent and drain screws. I actually resealed the LU and upon inspection had no visual damage. From what I understand its pretty normal. I would say if they get very thick to where you can rub them between your fingers and really feel the metal you may be getting into a problem. They were never that thick for me, I couldnt even feel them. I am sure someone else will chime in.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
  4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Smooth like metal shavings are common. Chunks that you can roll in between your fingers and feel aren't common. Change the lower unit oil to full synthetic and it helps.

5. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I just changed the lower unit oil and used Mercury quiksilver lower unit oil. Is that synthetic.

6. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Posting for my husband, GatorT, cause it's still my turn, durn it!

Gator used to do a lot of work on boat motors, and he says that it's normal.