Mercury carbs

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by boliver, Oct 31, 2006.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i just read the previous post and i need the tips for a 125 mercury. i posted earlier this year. i cleaned the gas tanks ,drained fuel , replaced lines and filters,refilled with new gas and sea foam let it set for a week,going out every couble of days and starting but only runing at fast idle everything seem better. took it out sunday on water and it was worse than it had before ,i didn't think we were going to get back to the ramp. i suspect it loosened up lot of things in carbs and really stoped them up. i think its time to overhaul carbs.any advice on this motor would be apreciated. thanks boliver

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Harrell post me a year model of that motor and I'll see if I have the exploded view of the carbs in my data files some where.

3. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    it is a 2001 merc. 125 hp . i have a repair manual that is pretty good. i just thought there might be some extra tips. thanks boliver

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take your camera and take pictures along the way for the reassembly. Tear it apart and be careful with all parts and make sure work area is clean. Take the jets out or take a small piece of wire and run it thru any small holes and after doing that spray you some good carb leaner thru them and blow out with compressed air. The job ain't as hard as it seems. Pay real close attention to how many turns you take any air setting screws.

5. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    sounds like bubbakat has it down with some good advise

6. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    is the spray cleaner as good or better than soaking in it overnight? I have overhauled car, tractor,etc. but the timing and linkages are what scare me. thanks boliver

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Just don't mess with anything relating to the timing adjustments, and put the linkage back as you found it.

Adjusting the lowspeed idle air adjustments, if so equipped, is a matter of just counting the turns as you turn them clockwise to lightly seat them. That's how much you back them off from the seated position after removal and cleaning.