mercury 9.8 fuel snafu

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by FS Driver, Mar 24, 2008.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    got the motors out this afternoon and had a little trouble starting the merc 9.8 so i pulled off the cowl and after it started with a few more pulls it managed to stay running but was belching fuel out of the carb intermitantly and also seems to have a tear or punture at the top of this fuel line i have circled in the picture attachment .
    is this a simple fix like just replacing this hose ? , or is it unscrewing the fittings and getting new ones etc.??
    any advice /help is going to be appreciated .
    thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its not uncommon for those fuel lines to split after a winter lay up. I would recommend replaceing all those fuel lines with new fuel lines. Make sure you use hose that is rated for fuel or the insides will peel off and be inside the carb.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    would that split line be causeing the fuel to come out of the mouth of carb???
    what do you recomend i ask for when i go to the merc dealer?
    just ask for enough hose to do my particular model or will there be different sizes? thanks for a speedy response bubba .

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I missed the part about it coming out of the mouth of the carb. There ain,t but two things I know that will cause that and that is the float hanging and letting to much fuel get up to the throat and the reed valves behind the carbs are broken.
    As for fuel line you can pick that up at any auto parts store. I would get a kit for that carb and clean it and rekit the carb and hope that was the problem.