mercury 45hp classic 50 1989

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cbankston, Jun 6, 2009.

1. cbankston

cbankston New Member

State:
    missouri
    have a 45hp classic 50 1989 model have had the carbs rebuilt had a new stator put on it . i have replaced the switch box and rebuilt the fuel pump. the boat starts and idles great and will run wide open fine for about a minute then it starts starving for fuel if i pump the primer bulb it will pick back up for a min. so im thinking i either have a fuel pump problem or a stuck float any advice would help a bunch starting to get frustrated.

2. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    If the fuel line is over 2-3 seasons old, the first thing I'd do is replace that, sounds like a bad check valve allow air into the lines

I learned the hard way to just bite the bullet and buy a new fuel line every 2 seasons because you have a 50-50 chance of a failure sometime in the 3rd season (Or 80% chance if you have my kinda luck)

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ya it always happens at the worst times. When you go downstream!!!!

4. cbankston

cbankston New Member

State:
    missouri
    well i forgot to mention that i have replaced that to and the fuel tank but guess its posible i got a bad one dont know what else to try

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    What is the fuel to oil ratio on that engine? A friend of mine has one and he isn't sure of the correct mixture.