Mercury 4 stroke, whirring noise at idle just started?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish Pursuit, May 25, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello, motor is a 2009 Mercury 90hp fourstroke. Runs awesome, but recently started making a noise when in neutral. Hard to describe the noise, kind of a whirring sound, like the blower on my race car sounds like, that whine sound. Only does it in neutral, as soon as I go forward or reverse it is silent like it should be. Its under warranty for 5 years, and bought it in Jan 2009. It has had its break in oil changed as well as lower unit oil. Anyone else have any ideas what it is before I take it back to the dealer? I just want to be prepared for all the "oh, thats normal" comments that dealers like to give. Chris

2. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA

3. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    chris mine is a 75hp 4 stroke mercury and its doing it to wondering what up before i take mine in to:embarassed:

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    50hp 2007 4 stroke mercury same thing,only at idle or very low speed. Just started ,motor has very very low hours.

5. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Okay guys, I talked with a dealer in Warsaw, MO, Anglers Port Marine, super nice people for once! Anyway, the mechanic there said it is a very common problem with the Mercury 4 stroke's and he really doesn't know how to make it stop, neither does Mercury according to him. He said it is the driveshaft, when you put it in neutral there is no pressure on the driveshaft causing it to rub on a bushing which is what makes the noise. He said it is not a problem and "shouldn't" cause mechanical problems. I explained that one of the reasons I chose the 4 stroke was because it was quiet and he agreed and thought he would be able to make it stop by adjusting the shift linkage so it is closer to forward or reverse which should pre-load the driveshaft. I'm gonna schedule it to be looked at in October since I will be bowhunting and not fishing, they are currently 3 weeks out on service. Chris

6. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I guess if he can't fix it then I will just pull the SSI 14-71 blower off my race car and figure out how to make it work on my outboard, that whining noise would be COOL then. The current sound is similar to what the blower makes. Chris

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Chris. Mine hasn't started doing it yet but I will know what it is when it does. Thanks for the post and update.

8. Mitch2228

Mitch2228 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Unfortunately I have a 2013 90 EFI fourstroke and I believe it's making this same noise? Has anyone found a fix?

9. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I've read about this a lot since I got my motor in 2009 and apparently its just part of it. Oh well. Chris