Mercury 20HP model year

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Pogo, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just this afternoon I came into a 20 HP Mercury, but am having a tough time tracking down the model year.

There's not the info I'm used to seeing on the ID plate, just a serial number ... which is: 5675766.

Can anyone steer me to where I might locate a serial to model crossover chart?

By the way, this engine looks almost new .. no scratches, no dings and no corrosion on the lower end ... starts first pull, too.

Anyhelp will be appreciated ...

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This is what I came up with off the serial number.

20 5606492 - A910970 1980/1981

3. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, Bubba ... I appreciate your time and effort.

Looking at this beast, it's hard to believe it's that old. Someone took mighty good care of it and it looks and runs better than a lot I see less than a year old, let alone 25.

I dunno if I'll keep it since I also recently bought a 2001 Tohatsu 15, but given it's condition and the price I paid ($225.00), I don't think I went wrong here.

North Carolina engines don't normally stray very far and I'll bet that with a little research among the fishing community I can find some history ... might prove interesting ... on bad weather days when I'm not fishing, of course :)

Thanks again and take care ...

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey pogo, would you be interested in selling that motor for double your money back right now.

5. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just might, Bigfish, but I haven't made up my mind just what to do right now.

I changed the lower end lube, checked the plugs and took it out on my 14' Polar Kraft yesterday afternoon. Other than needing a minor slow speed carb adjustment (10 minutes right at the dock), it ran fine.

The local dealer parts lady looked up the Merc and tells me that, even though it's 25 years old, she'd have no problem getting any part I needed. That's a plus. The dealer tried to suggest I sell it to him so he could display it as evidence of Mercs being long lasting. ... Yeah ... right ... :)

One small, interesting item I learned, though, was that the Merc takes BUHW-2 surface contact plugs. I'd previously only seen those in racing applications. No big deal, they're a commonly available plug ... just interesting.

My problem is that this engine is 20 pounds lighter than the 2001 Tohatsu Electric-15HP I recently bought, which, for a 65 YO small guy is a consideration. I can hang the Merc alone without much problem, but, although I do it, it's tougher with the Tohatsu.

Max speed difference between the two engines (GPS measurement) isn't enough to spit on (3 knots - same water, same wind), so the 5 HP differential isn't much of an issue.

So ... I seem to have backed myself into a corner :) Keeping both would be ridiculous, but which one to part with? ... Dunno yet.

If, however, Bigfish, I do decide to sell it ... and that'll be within a few days, I'll certainly let you know. Matter of fact ... I'll let you know either way.

I looked up your location and you're only about 430 miles (about 8 hours) up the road from here ... plus, I do pass right by a few times a year when I visit my parents in North Central Ohio ... might work out.

6. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks pogo i wouldnt be interested in your other motor. but if you do decide to part with that merc. let me know might be able to work something out if ya had some pics and stuff you could post.

7. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, Bigfish, I've decided to keep the Merc after all. At the price, it can just be a spare and there have been times in my past when I wished I had one.

This thing just sorta dropped into my lap and put me in a quandry for a while, but I think it's more to my advantage to keep it.

So, I'm sorry if I dissapointed you, Bigfish and hope you aren't upset.

8. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey pogo no appology needed. you are doing exactly what i would do. the motor was going to be for my fishing partner ducain, not for me. i already have a 20 hp merc. but i do think you are making the right choice, at that price it wont hurt to leave it set until you might need it.