Mercury 200 20 h.p.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ooks, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    Had my boat out this weekend and it was real hard to get in forward gear, was just wondering if a problem is brewing and any thing I can do to ward it off. Had it out last weekend and no problem what so ever. When I brought it home I went ahead and changed lower unit lube. Any help would be appreciated. Serial no. is 3677421. Thanks Ooks

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Earl,
    By hard to get in to forward , do you mean like hard in extra force or Grinding and hopping back out?
    If all was well on the last outing and the next trip to the lake cause ya grief, I think, I might get that shroud loose and have a look see at the Mechanics of the shifting linkage.
    There should be a stop as part of the neutral switch assmy that can sure get its self in a bind. Gentle lubrication at the friction points as you check won't hurt anything and at least you will know what it isn't.
    Changing the lower unit grease ...was it normal? milk shakey or full of particulets.. That should shed a little light ..again on what its Not.
    Good Luck and Get back to us.

3. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    No grinding it was just hard to get into forward gear, reverse was fine. Lower lube when I drained it looked fine no signs of water or burnt lube smelled like the new lube. Took it back up last Sunday after I cleaned under the shroud and looked her over good and she shifted fine. This is my first boat just bought her in May I'm probably just parinoid LOL. The 20 H.P. Mercury powers a 15 Ft. semi v fisher marine and she'll fly in my opion. Thanks for the reply. Ooks