Mercury 20 HP Jet

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by lucescoflathead, Jan 18, 2010.

1. lucescoflathead

lucescoflathead New Member

State:
    Western Pa.
    I 'd like to know if anyone has a 20 HP Mercury Jet on their jon boat? I'm looking for a 14 ft. Wide flat bottom jon boat and would like to use this motor. I know some people say a prop is. better, but I never had a jet and think the 14 footer would fly with one on. I plan to do mostly river fishing but may go up to Pymatuming or Moraine once in a while. Thanks Todd

2. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    I was looking on the Mercury web site and they don't show a 20 hp, jet they show a 25. I could have swore I've seen one marked 25/20. Any help on this? Thanks Todd

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010

3. Welcome to the club hoss, I am in SE PA. That should be a 25 hp, 20 output jet. Should get a 14' john on plane. That would be a sweet boat for most of pa's upper, shallower reaches of rivers.

4. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    I'm going to the boat show this weekend in Pittsburgh. I hope I can find a boat I like.... Tghanks for the reply Todd

5. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    You dont mention how wide this boat is. I would discourage any from buying that small of a jet. Please remember a jet loses 30% of its power head rated hp. A 60 makes a 40hp jet, 90hp is a 65hp jet, 115 ia a 90hp jet etc.
    Further more a jet will not push a boat like a prop of like hp. Simply put, a 90hp with jet is 65 hp. This motor will not have the same get & go as a 60 hp prop.
    Weight becomes much more of an issue when running a jet.

I love jet outboards. But until you load this boat motor combination just like you will use it, so you can see how it works, I would not do it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  6. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    That's why I posted the thread. I'd like to know if anyone has a 25 hp jet to see how it runs.I had a 14 ft Lund with a semi v front. It had a short shaft 15 hp Mercury on it. I loved that motor . I think it was 42 inches wide. I'd like a 14 ft 58 inch wide flat bottom boat. If the 25 jet pushed it as well as my 15 hp pushed the Lund, I'd be happy. Thanks Todd

7. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    OK, based on what your saying, my advice would be to step up to a 50 or 60 hp outboard.
    Then put a jet unit on that. The gas you use will go up, but will still be "VERY " reasonable. This will give you a lot more lee way regarding weight.

I really believe based on my experience you would be best following my advice.

PM me for my telephone number.
    I will help set you up as best I am able!!!!

Jeff "Kawriverrat"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  8. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    Thanks . When I get my boat, I'll take you up on your offer and give you a call.

9. jstultz

jstultz New Member

State:
    indiana
    I just bought a mercury 25 jet yesterday and mercury is now rating their jet motors at the prop or jet if you look at the specs on mercurys website and the dealer said the same. I have a lowe 1648m that has a max hp rating of 35 you may want to check your hp rating so the c/o's dont't get ya.

10. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    I just put a down payment on a Polarcraft 1468 yesterday. It's rated for 25 hp max. I got a 9.9 lined up for it now,however I'd like to have the 25 HP Merc. jet someday. Let me know how your boat does with it. Thanks Todd

11. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I seen a 25 merc jet in action last year.lol These guys had a brand new 14 foot flat bottom boat with the 25 jet on it and couldn't get out of thier own way. First time they had it out and there were 4 yes I said 4 of them on this poor little boat.

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    flat bottom jon's will not work with jets well at all, for your new polar kraft going to have to add a jack plate to the transom to bring the jet foot up to the proper elevation for it to work at all, 3 or 4 inches, your polar kraft has a maximum motor wight of a 150 lbs , ya could get a 30/20 e-tec that's not much over the limit,
    my best advice to you would get a hull designed for a jet if you want a jet. here is a link to Jet Outboards the company that builds all the jet pumps for the all the engine manufactures http://www.outboardjets.com/boatSelection.php and another site that explain the in and out of outboard jet http://www.fish.state.pa.us/boatcrs/jet/jetboard.htm

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  13. lucescoflathead

State:
    Western Pa.
    Thanks for all the info. I'll probably stick with a prop. I have an 9.9 hp to use for now. I'll probably buy a 25 hp someday. Anyone have any preferences? Thanks Todd

14. red450r

red450r New Member

State:
    Hurt, Virginia,
    i know three guys running the 20 jets, one has a 1448 alumacraft riveted, one a 1436 alumacraft riveted, and the other with a 1448 tracker all welded. The guys with the riveted boats love theirs, run in 2-3"s of water, now the welded boat wont get out of its own way.

Ive been looking for one myself....

15. cat-n-eye

cat-n-eye New Member

State:
    SD
    I had a Lowe 1448 with a merc 25 hp prop. It was fast. Running shallow water, I did the inevitable, hit a rock. Lower unit was cracked wide open. Ended up buying a jet pump to put on the engine. Had to raise the transom to get the jet foot at the correct height. When all was done it would run in extreme shallow water but was a little slower than with the prop. Overall I prefer the 25/20 jet over the 25 prop. The jet gives me piece of mind when running over shallow water.

16. bigchooch58

bigchooch58 New Member

State:
    San Antonio Tex
    i to run the merc 9.9 on a 14 ft deep v hull jon boat /its not the fastest boat on the lake but it goes good enough for what i want /good thing is i can run all day at a cost of about 2 1/2 gal of gas /and thats not fishing thats running around the lake /when i fish for the night it cost about 3 -4 bucks to top it off in the morning so ill take that over 50 a night in gas