mercury 150 help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by elvis64505, Aug 7, 2009.

1. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    if it wasn't for bad luck i wouldn't have none:angry: to make a long story short
    after letting my son take the boat out !!! it came back with a funny nock in the motor found that it was a rod bearing?? so i thought i would bye another boat while iwas working on this one so i can get on the river
    guess what it wouldn't run right so i had it taken to the repair shop to have it looked at and i get a call 2 weeks later saying that the crank was bad so if it wasn't for bad luck i wouldn't have none:embarassed: so if anybody
    might have or know some one with a good used crank shaft for a

84/90s mercury 150 please let me know thanks elvis

2. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    I don’t know if they’re still in business, but I’m sure they would be able to refer you to the right place if they don’t have it.

US Boatworks & Salvage930 Osage StreetKansas City, KS66105 Telephone 913.342.001

3. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i think u might be in luck i got a buddy whose dad has a couple 150's in his basement. i will find out what year it is and get back to u.:wink:

4. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    well i just got my repair manuel for the mercury's hope to start working on

the 90 hp first and then i will take the crank out of the 150 hp
    hope two get one of them going in the next couple of weeks:embarassed:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I think I still have one for a 1987 150 Mariner. Will it work?
    Pete

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good luck finding one Elvis looks like alot of post trying to help a fellow BOC member.

7. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i think the one i found is a 79' 150 merc see if that will work and i will try to find out how much he wants for it:wink:

8. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    thank you for looking im not sure if it will work or not ??
    i think the guy at the repair shop told me any thing 84/up will work

9. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    i think that one will work i was told 84/up where all the same please send me a pm when you find out and how much you would take for it thanks:big_smile:

10. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    here is a pic of my boat right before the motor quit

Attached Files:

11. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    Well i have the 90 hp on the engine stand now i have to go find a flywheel
    puller soon as i get that off i can see how bad it is?? if i have any luck
    i might just need to replace some bearings (haha) good luck right?:embarassed:

really didn't want to become a boat motor tech

i have been a auto body tech for over twenty four years and thats bad enough:tounge_out:

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Be easy on the fly wheel and don't hit it with a hammer or any thing to loosen it because it will knock the magnets loose and those things are expensive,. Been there and done that.:wink:

13. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
  14. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    ill tell you this if you live in missouri do not use Grossman Marine they are crack heads and will jack you around all day ....

The father is a great man who i would trust 100% but the son is a snake and has drug problems and hustles people on there boats....:confused2:

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Elvis, I used a harmonic balancer puller on mine to pull the flywheel- not sure if that would work for your motor or not but its a thought.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Branden that won't work on that fly wheel. He can purchase one off e-bay for about 50 bucks. Or do like I did and build one.

17. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    yeah it is pretty easy to make your own just find a scrap peice of aluminum or steel and drill some holes and a few bolts and washers..will work like a charm. dont waste your time with one of those slide hammer pullers:eek:oooh:.....i messed with one of them for about an hour one night and finally just made my own puller. that damn thing just didnt have enough umphh to get it off of there

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jeff that still won't work on a mariner or merc fly wheel. They have a big hole in the center of the flywheel and recessed inside that hole is the nut. You have threads that are made inside the flywheel in a large circle that a round pipe screws down with fine threads, Then across the pipe is a flat piece with a large nut on it and a big bolt that screws down to met the top of the crank and when it meets it starts pushing up on the fly wheel. This is where it gets serious that flywheel has magnets inside it and I think they are 5 or 6 of them. If you hit that flywheel more then likely you will break a magnet or more. Those magnets are 55 bucks a piece and the stuff you glue them with is outragous also.. If you can find a used flywheel it will cost you about 200 bucks.

19. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    The Mercury puller looks simalar to the A/C clutch hub pullers for automotive, just a little, or should I say alot bigger.

20. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    I think i will just bye one

i think i will have todd order one for me at work !! i think he found one for
    about $50 bucks

sounds like that would be a safer way to go?:embarassed: hell i have waited this long
    better get it right the frist time:roll_eyes: