mercury 115 - $200 for the entire fishing boat

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fishingbuddy4, Nov 13, 2008.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I found a boat that i am thinking about buying ,it has been in storage for 9 years ,after her husband died . It ran perfect at that time ,she only wants 200.00 for the whole boat ,What would i need to do to restart the motor after setting for 9 years?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats a steal Robert. You ain't bought it yet? LOL

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it has been stored right the carbs should be alright. All the rubber lines will have to be replaced and the water pump and check the lower unit oil for color. Pull the plugs and replace them do not clean and reinsert replace them. Check all the connections on the motor for corrosion. Take you some TCW-3 oil in a squirt bottle and squirt it in each plug hole and slowly turn it over by hand and make sure each cylinder wall is oiled up so you won't have a dry start. If you start this engine without changing the rubber fuel lines out I can promise you will have carb problems. I would mix my fuel at about 40:1 mix for the first 3 gals and mix some sea foam with it and this should oil the internals up good.

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Thanks guys for the imfo ,I am going to buy it ,but dont know if i will keep it on that boat or put it on mine ,i am going to see what it weighs ,and if it is close to my boats max motor weight i might put it on mine ,mine is rated for a 75hp and this is a late 80s 115 hp ,Anyone know what the weight might be on it?

5. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    I have a 115 merc on my 85 aggressor bass baot. When I bought thr boat it also came with a spare115 merc that diddn't run. I kept it for spare parts. I just took it to the scrap yard and they said it was 286 lbs. I think. When the tower of power runs right you will fly.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    :eek:oooh: u scrapped it??? wow wait till you need a part off of it ans u will regret that!!!

7. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    I took off everything that I thought I could use( starter, prop, carbs, coils, power pack, trim pump and rams,ect) so it wasen't a complete loss. I shuold have kept the lower unit though, but it was making a weird noise when i would hand turn it. (Clunk clunk) soI just got rid of it.

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    They might have just drained the lower unit oil since it wasn't running.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Did you buy it Robert?
    Those older 115 tall motors were screamers.

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    No i didnt buy it ,dont need anouther boat ,when mine aint fixed yet ,i would of if it wasnt a fiberglass boat

11. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    hi robert,first thing you need to do is check the compression on all cylinders .the readings shouldn't vary 10 % from each cylinder.if o.k.,spray some fogging oil in each cylinder and spend the engine over.next spray carb cleaner in carbs and see if engine will fire.if so put fresh gas and oil to it ,hook the hose to it and see if she will run ,also change plugs befor starting.one thing to look for is to make sure it is pumping water to cool the engine.you should be able to lay your hand on the head and leave it there if it is cooling.even if the engine starts,you will still need tochange the water pump and lower unit lube.and i am 99% possitive you will have to go tru the carbs and clean them.call me at 704 258-7705 and i will try to awnser any other questions.good luck,larry

12. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since you didnt buy that boat, is it still available?

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    no i have a buddy that bought it ,and planning to restore it