mercruser 140 pull question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by boo radley, Oct 17, 2006.

1. boo radley

boo radley New Member

State:
    ohio
    My 84 140 mercruser quit running.After pulling the head I found a valve jammed halfway through the #2 piston.My question is,can I get the oil pan off without pulling the engine?
    If I do pull it,can the block be separated from the coupler without dropping the lower unit?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!:smile2:

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If it were mine, I would pull the engine, get it on a stand where I could check the bearings, rods, and crank.
    Inboard engines are built differently then a standard auto engine or even a performance engine.
    They are built to withstand hard on the throttle and continuous wide open running. If I were going to spend any money at all on it I would check it out thoroughly.
    I'm not familiar with Mercruiser but I wouldn't think you would have to drop the outdrive.

3. boo radley

boo radley New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks Mark,this motor has only about 500 hrs on it and I'm looking for the cheap quick fix.I'm doing the disassembly and taking the head in for repair.I was just hoping I could manage to get this repair done without pulling the motor.I'm afraid of damaging the coupleing by raising or pulling the motor.
    I'm wondering if you can carefully slide it forward off the spline without damaging it.I've never had one apart but am adventurous,he he.