Mercruiser Control Box Removal

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by AwShucks, Jul 6, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bubbakat / BobPaul, seeing as how I am so good as asking questions, my friend FuzzFace needs information on how to remove the Mercruiser control box from the boat. He has a problem where no hot wire is running to the ignition, but has traced wires back to the control box. So, it has to come out for a look-see. It also will not go into forward. Reverse is Okay, but no forward....moves about 2" then stops. We found one set screw behind the handle but cannot get the handle off. We believe once we get the handle off there will be a nut or nuts holding the control box on, but we are stuck. Got any ideas?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Where's it mounted, side, or console.

Disconnect the linkage from the control box shift cable at the engine and see if it shifts. Problem could be the shift cable running from the engine back to the lower unit.

If it is, he ain't changing it without special tools and dropping the rear drive unit.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is mounted on the right side of the boat, believe correct nautical termonology is that it's located on the starboard hull, by the operator's seat.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Surely someone has an idea how to remove the control handle. A boat dealer said to remove the big bolt....er, there is not a bolt there. Just one set screw is all that could be found.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've been looking for this thread, then forgot about it. Sorry!

Has he checked the circuit breaker at the engine? Got an OMC Cobra drive in the other day with the same problem. It was a blown 50 amp fuse. Mercruisers have 50 amp breakers.

I'll look into the control box removal today. I do know it's a difficult process in stern drive boats.

As much as I don't like to mention it, I replaced a cable last week in one of those Mercruiser's, along with a gimball bearing and drive shaft seal. Always agrivates me that anyone made those things, but it really pays good.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The attachment shows the problem. We have removed one set screw from the side of the handle, and the button in the middle used to release the handle from its neutral position. Everything we have seen says this handle is just set on a splined shaft and should pull apart. It don't. Have we forgot something or should we just use brute force to remove it?

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't know why I have such a problem attaching photo's. Lets try again.

Attached Files:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That handle is setting on a spline that is most likely oxidized. Either get some pb blaster in it or just use a small puller and brute force. Do you remember the old door handles on the old model Chevy's. Well this is the same principle but with out the circular clip. It is just stuck on it. if you have removed the screw from the side and the center button.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As usual, your diagnosis was right on. We put some of that fishbait stuff, you know - WD40, on the splines, moved the handle a little, and Viola, the darn thing just popped off. How do you guys do it all the time...can't you be wrong once in a while so us normal people won't feel so stupid.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks again Bubba.

Lawrence, I wasn't avoiding you, just ate up with personal business and back logged at work the past few days.

Another way to get those stuck handles off is to just loosen the center bolt, pry the handle out and smack the center bolt with a hammer. Same principle as getting a steering wheel off.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

:0a33: :byebye: