Merc motor ??

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bassgasm2002, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    i would think it's a linkage issue.

2. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Sounds like a weak fuel pump.:roll_eyes::eek:oooh:

3. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    David be very carefull with the starting fluid the motor can explode using that stuff .when you here the choke click dose the plunger pull in if not try to clean it

4. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    I think that the carberaiter are stoped up. And you probALLY NEED TO PULL THEM OUT AND CLEAN THEM.

5. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Go to iboats.com and join,it's free and they will answer all your ?n's on there.There are alot of outboard techs on the site to help with issues.Good luck

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Before I did any type of carb work, I'd mix Sea Foam in the gas, and take it for a nice long ride. Get it goood and warmed up and run it thru it's paces. Sea Foam is a very good product, and for less than 10 bucks it's better than 50.00 and hour labor. Should this not work, then spend the money. Later Andy

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If the solenoid is clicking, most likely, the choke is working. Those Mercs take a LOT of fuel to start. Be SURE that the motor is ALL THE WAY DOWN when trying to crank it. The fuel from the choke goes in the top carb and is gravity fed to the bottom. They will NOT crank right if the motor is trimed up much. When you hold the key in to activate the choke, hold it in for a full ten seconds before trying to crank it. If you do these things and it still won't crank without putting fuel n the carbs, then you might want to open up the carbs and clean them out. The seafoam may clean them out if you can get it running. I'd sy away from the starting fluid. It drys out the cylinders and could cause scoring of the cylinder walls from the rings. If you have to put fuel in the carbs to crank it, just take the air box off, and get a small pump bottle with some fuel in it and put fuel in the top carbs. Keep us posted as I am very interested in the outcome.
    Bill in SC