Merc 50 shifter linkage removal

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by 320hotrod, Sep 3, 2009.

1. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I'm trying to replace my impeller today and have gotten stumped on the shift linkage disconnection. I can see the cotter pin at the top, way under the powerhead, and also see the jam nut just between the lower unit and the cylinder it goes up through. But for the life of me I don't see an easy way to get it apart. The motor is a 2007 model, 50 hp 2 stroke. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

2. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    You don't want to pull the leg off the power head pull the lower unit off the leg (just above prop) i think there are five bolts you will need deep well to do this hope this helps and when you put it back together make sure your shifter shaft lines up and test it before it goes into the water as i did not once

Attached Files:

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I've gotten all the bolts, and the lower unit is loose, but the shifter shaft is holding me up. All I can see is the cotter pin way under the lower carb, and the jam nut connection just above the L/U. My internet searches have shown a lot of different variations, but none that involve a cotter pin connection.

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Okay, got it now. The shifter linkage had an upper and lower shaft, and the jam nut was actually the linkage connector. When I loosened the upper long nut, the shaft became free and allowed the lower unit to drop. Was all learning experience anyways as impeller was fine, but there were several bug larvae carcasses in the system.

Attached Files:

• nut.jpg
      nut.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views: