Merc 50 Shift linkage

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadsalyer1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Alright guys, where are the experts, they are not on the help section. I posted this on bubbas help section and didn't get much help so I will try here. I changed my water pump a few days ago, making sure that the shift linkage wasn't moved while the foot was off. I put it back together and now the shifter moves freely like it should forward neutral and reverse, but the motor is stuck in forward. Its a 1973 500 series 50 HP merc with thunderbolt ignition. Serial #3722984. I have a subscription to SELCO online but its not much help either. Any suggestions??
    Thanks in advance,

Steve

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Steve,
    I don't have first hand knowledge of your motor but it sounds like you need to disconnect the linkage and get the lower unit shift mechanism back into neutral.

For what it's worth, I just changed my 115hp Yamaha water pump and was very careful to ensure the gears were in neutral before dropping the L.U. Somehow just dropping the L.U. off the leg of the motor put the gearbox back in gear.

In your motor, if the shifter (motor side) was in neutral and the shifter rod (gearbox side) is in forward I would have thought they wouldn't have lined up to reconnect. Hopefully you can get things lined up without having to drop the L.U. again...W

3. Neal F.

Neal F. New Member

State:
    Gwd SC
    I changed my water pump on my 4 stroke honda and had the same problem, mine was the threaded nut that connects the 2 shafts together,fixed it without pulling foot. Hope this helps out.

4. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    Steve drop your lower unit back down standing at the back propside turn shiftshaft in lower to the left this should put it out of gear.