Merc.4-stroke

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by James Bentley, Jan 24, 2009.

1. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have a Merc. 4-stroke.2001 ,50 HP,I seem to have a lot of carb.trouble,is there any thing that I can run in gas that will clean them out?I use Stabil but if boat sits for 30 days or more,it does not run smooth and wont plane out,then back to shop for carb. cleaning.If there is any thing that will clean,where can it be found?Thanks for any help

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have used sea foam alot and it has always worked very well for me . you can find it at just about any chain parts house or wally e world . i found the best way to use it is if you have 2 tanks run one low and put the sea foam in it and run it till it is out , you may want to check or change your filter . then later do the other cleans the motor and the tanks , just my ideas . hope it helps you

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the Sea Foam. Follow directions on can. I've used it on Marine, automotive, lawnmowers and motorcycle with positive and immediate results. You will never be without it.

4. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I pulled the drain plugs out the carbs. the top carb. is stuck,it want drain ,I guess the needle is stuck,stable did not help that one,I guess its back to the shop,thanks

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Yep, that'll cause problems. I bought a 2 stroke when i bought a motor, but got to listen to the directions given to a couple customers buying 4 strokes. The person suggested always running a fuel water separator/fuel filter for 4 strokes. She also said that plastic gas tanks cause water in the fuel. Put a plastic bag in the sun on a summer day and look at the condensation form inside. The new fuel with alcohol also pulls the moisture from the air into the fuel. Keep running sea foam in it after you get those carbs cleaned up. Should do wonders for you.

6. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    transmission fluid 1 qt per 25 gal. works on any motor.