Merc 25hp pulling

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Big Nick, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    My Merc has started to pull to one side when going full out, or close to it. I'm a motor moron so any help in fixing this problem would be appreciated. Its getting so bad that it wears out my arm if I'm going fast for any amount of time.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Nick, take a look at the trim tab to the rear and just above the prop.

Be sure it's still there. Mine's missing from my 25 Merc.

If it's there and in good shape, cock it to the right and be sure it's tight.

3. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I'll have to check that out. Thanks

4. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    i also have a 25 merc and it doesnt seem like it is running as fast as it should seems only like it goes half throttle like its not getting enough gas and wonderd what u think before i go to a shop

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Dan, The twist shift and throttle combination of the 25 mercs confuse the heck out of me.

I'd first look under the hood and look for proper operation of the throttle. Be sure at full throttle position, your carb is fully opened.

I do know that if you don't fully push in the primer knob after warm up, it'll continue to get too much gas and run too rich/flood, which will keep it from getting up to speed.

I'll look at mine tonight to see if anything obvious can happen.

6. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    thanks i will try that tonight and tell how it turns out

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Dan - you might also check that the choke is fully open and check the fuel filter(s) for dirt.

8. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    thanks i dont think the carb is all the way open how could i get it to open fullY? and ill make sure to get primer back in