Merc 200

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cjb10876, Jul 19, 2008.

1. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I picked up (well, technicaly my wife did) a Merc 200 at a garage sale for $130 (started at $200) with the fuel lines and tank. I have been looking for info online and I have seen both 20 and 22 HP ratings listed. I think it is a '61 when I looked up the serial number. What is the actual rating? According to the seller it was tuned up last year, but he sold his boat and the new buyer only wanted the electric. He had been moving this motor around his garage for a year with no boat to put it on. It looks pretty clean for it's age and the plugs did look new. I would like to get an owners manual and a repair manual for this motor, does anyone have any suggestions where to find these? Is there anything else i should check before taking it to Canade next week?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you'll need to post the model and serial numbers to check on it.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Like that has been suggested, post the serial number and we can find out the other stuff.

4. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    THe serial number is 1343416. The model is Merc 200. Thanks for any help you can give me.

5. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    I bought a manual for mine from the local dealer.

I've got a early 70's model 200. 20 HP Merc.
    It's been a good motor so far.
    Have a minor problem with it here lately that has me puzzled. It'll start fine but it won't continue to pick up fuel from the old "new to me" tank I just put on it. After it runs for a while it works fine for a bit then it'll go back to starving for fuel again and I'll have to squeeze the bulb to fill the carb again.
    Any thoughts on this? I'm assuming I have a air leak in it somewhere that keeps it from pulling fuel from the tank.
    It also is running way slower than it did when I bought it. It ran over 20mph with 2 ppl and decoys, this morning it ran 14 with 3 ppl and fishing gear.

Q