Merc 115 ?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fish-n-pitch, May 30, 2008.

1. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went to the lake last night and my motor fires right up with no problem and we go catch bait. After an hour we start the motor again and it starts to role out white smoke not blue smoke so i know that it is running hot. I have been running the motor consitently for three weeks now and had zero problems until yesterday and boom what happened. The water pump is working fine, plenty of oil and gas, the motor will fire instantly and run for a few minutes then start to blow white smoke from the exaust and just quit. The motor is a 2002 Mercury 115 Saltwater two-stroke. Why did it go from running great with no problems to bam big problem with no warning?

Thanks, Spencer

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Because it's a machine.

How about some of your motor's preventive maintenance history?

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    And do a compression check and leak down test.

4. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As far as preventative history it had new reeds put in it in the spring of 2007, and a new starter put in it spring of this year. These are the only two things that have been done to the motor. The motor never sits for more than a week with out it being used to some type of fishing so all of the seals should stayed well lubed and oiled as to not dry rot. I talked to a friend that had similar issues with a yamaha v-max and it turned out to be electrical problems in the ignition, does this seem to fit my secnerio?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull the plugs and look at them and describe the condition of each plug to us and do a compression check.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Be it the problem or not, you're way past due for a water pump and thermostat check.