Meramec River using shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by briank, Sep 22, 2005.

1. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    Hello Cat Catchers,

I am glad to have found this site. It's full of information. The wife and I love to fish the Missouri river, we are now experimenting with fishing the wing dykes using the info we have learned here. Thanks...
    Now for my delima. We are also fishing the Meramec river in the Eureka and Pacific area. We normally fish rod/reel but decided to try a trotline. We put it in a long hole with about 4-6 feet of water with moderate to slow current. I have been baiting the line with fresh cut shad taken from the same river. The only thing we have caught was a 40" spotted gar. I run the line twice a day, (morning-evening) and don't seem to be catching anything. Most of the time the bait is gone, a few of the shad heads are still on. I hook them through the eyes. As far as the shad size, I cut the tail off anything 4" and smaller, slit the belly and hook it whole through the eyes. Anything larger than 4" I have been cutting into 3 pieces. I am using 8/0 stainless regular hooks. I bought the largest Kahle hooks I could find at Wally World, they were only a 4/0. I am getting ready to change out a couple hooks a day with the Kahles.
    I was talking to another guy that fishes this river and he said he never has much luck with shad, He spends more time catching gills to use or he buys goldfish. WOW!!! did I write all that, okay now for the question....
    Could shad not be a good bait choice in the Meramec? Even though I caught the shad in it.

Brian,

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't see why it would not be. Is there any deeper holes around? If it was me i would be useing live bluegills, suckers or something. I always tend to like live bait on bank/trotlines.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Briank, I live in Arnold, so you know I have fished the Meramec. Mostly, it was around the entrance to the Mississippi, but some up from George Winter Park in Fenton. Yes, there are catfish in this river, I've seen other folks who have caught them. Where or how, I haven't a clue. To date I have probably spent 100 hour or so trying, not one catfish there. I gave up an headed back out to the Miss.
    About the shad, I would think if you caught them on the river, they should work.

Crazy, in the area he is talking about, 4-6 ft IS DEEP. LOL I live down river from there, about 15-20 miles I guess. I cannot drive up stream to where he fishes, except when the river is well above flood stage. Two areas I know are only 4-6 INCHES with no way through in normal level. The Meramec River is far better upstream, for fishing and for depth. Down here where it runs into the Mississippi River, it sucks. For a long time, I figure it would HAVE to contain fish, what with fish coming out of the Miss and all. I have come to the conclusion that either they run wide open upstream to get away from where I fish, or it is two separate populations.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Oh well then never mind the deep hole part. Just try live bait and see what happens.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You might try some 5/0 or bigger circle hooks on the trot line.

6. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    Hey Cutter, I checked my lines today after work and had two cats. One channel about 3 pounds and the other was about 5 or 6 pounds. I'm not sure what type of cat it was. I should have taken a pic. His head was oversized for his body, he had no spots, but was dark in color. Most of the cats I've seen in the Meramec are dark. His upper lip protruded way over his lower. Like an overbite! Anyway at least I know they will bite on shad. That is all I had baited the line with. The river came up about 18" and was dropping today when I caught them.

You are right about the river and its depth. When I say 4-6 feet I'm talking about the holes. There are a few holes 13-14 feet, but most are much shallower. The shoals run from 2 feet to less than a foot. We run an 1860 Legend SS with a 175 jet. We can scoot through 5 or 6 inches of water without touching bottom.

We are heading to the Missouri river at Washington tomorrow. Going for the bigguns!!! I'd sure take a few little'ens though! :)

Mr. T You are right, I am going to change over to a circle hook.

Thanks for the replies!

Briank

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Briank, upload some pic's of your boat, I'd like to see it. You can put them in the Gallery section for all to see.

I rarely put out trotlines, but do jug now and then when the freezer gets low. In the area you fish, is that an option?

8. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    Kutter, I will upload some pic's in the next week or so. I will take pics this weekend and upload them soon.

Brian

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    BrianK..looks like you and I fish the same area. I live between Robertsville and Lonedell. I put in at Pacific and motor up to the *&**hole for the shad..you sound like you most likely get yours there too. I have caught several catfish on the Merimac but to tell you the truth I would rather fish the Missouri.. I have had better luck on the Merimac with shrimp rather than shad but have caught several on both. I fish poles and jugs not trotlines. Are you putting in at Washington? Having any luck in the Missouri this year? Biggest this year for me has only been about 6 to 8 pounds .. still looking for that big hog out there..

10. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey Guys, My name is Jason and i fish the meremac just about every weekend and i have been doing very well this year so far. I fish in fenton behind George Winter Park, I put in at the Meremac merina, the guys there only charge $5 to put in and i run a reg. 25h motor and 16' jon. I use troutlines and mostly jugs and i run the lines about 15' deep with nightcrawlers. I been catching really big Blues, Flatheads and very few small channels i dont really understand that but i will just deal with the Blues & Flats so guys dont give up on the meremac just fish it hard and you will produce fish. But this weekend i am gonna try goldfish and shrimp plus nightcrawlers. I have had no success with cut bait. So if any wants to try send me e-mail and just meet us out there never know it could be alot of fun and there is not to many people fishing where i do......

Jason :)

P.S. The hole i am fishing is anywhere from 15' to 40' and alot of room for more fisherman.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome to the BOC, Jason. Nice to have you here. I live in Arnold also. Your the first person I ever heard that had much success in that river around here. You must be doing something right. Whatever it is, we here are going to pester ya till we find out what it is. LOL

12. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    LOL I will never Tell LOL Hey Thanks Kutter. I have no secerts here I just wish more guys would fish out there where I do. I fish mostly with Jugs At about 15' deep most of the time I use night crawlers 2 or 3 on one hook and then place them in the water and wait for the bobbing LOL. What a good time..

Jason

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I go jugging quite a bit myself, but usually up on the Ill River near Hardin

14. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Jason, are you fishing during the day or night.. Are you having any luck with rod and reel fishing there? I dont think I have ever caught a blue out of the meramec.

15. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey Dave, I am Fishing at night But the time I really have my LUCK is at about 8pm through about 11pm and in the early morning hours Any other time i really have not to much luck. Am i useing rod n reel nope only Jugs at about 15' Line Deep, and I am really have good luck on the worms right now and yes I am catching alot of Blues right now ( its amazing to me catching these blues I have never caught a Blue out of the meremac before either) but let me tell ya If you put in at flem city watch out for them damm flying fish, I was running up the river full speed and one jumped in the boat with me and hit me dead in my face and knocked my sunglasses off "lost them" but i am fishing behind george winter park doing very well there..

Jason

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can pretty much forget about putting in your boat at Flamm City. Supposedly, they have that endangered muscle in that sand bar in front of it is why they wont dredge it out for us to get our boats in. Or atleast that is the excuse I have heard. They really need to do something about this adding in a few more good ramps also so we can have access to the MS River.
    THe other problem lies with we really do not have much access to the MS River down here south of the City.
    I do not know what it is going to take, but this project needs to get started somewhere, somehow..

Vince

17. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey Vince,
    I agree it really does suck south, someone told me there is a place in Imperial to put in (hoppy's) I have never seen it and wish I knew for sure, If someone knows PLEASE let me know? I put in at Flem City when the water is up so Are you saying that they might not let people put in there anymore? Also you can put in under the jeffco bridge and its a nice ok ramp but the river is really low there i have never put in there but when the river comes back up I might try it. But I will for sure be out Friday night behind George Winter Park I am hoping with this cold weather coming in, it might get the Cat's going alittle crazy. Ya I gotta take the wife Jugging again she had a blast about 3 weeks ago we caught a couple of Nice Blue's and Flat's

Jason

18. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kutter probably knows the ramps better than I do... BUt you can put in at Flamm City anytime, it is just that is the reason I have heard why they wont dredge it out getting rid of that sand bar infront of the ramp.
    Jason, go get ya a dozen gold fish and use them this weekend on a few of your jugs... also this time of year, shrimp work well also..

19. bigryan09

bigryan09 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know this post is very old but I stumbled upon it and thought I'd show you guys the fish I've caught in the meramec. We put in at george winter (12' jon with a 9.9) and head upriver. Hug the right side bank until you get to highway 30 bridge, then cross to the left side ( do this because its shallow) On your way up river (before the old gravois bridge) Stop where the sewer treatment plant water comes out of the big pipe, and get ya some shad. They like to congregate here, and there on the left side of the river. We put out about 5-10 jugs starting just below the I-44 bridge baited with shad, and float down river with them until they get to highway 30, and pull out. This stretch of river is about a mile long, and we've never hit bottom with our prop so it must be deep. It takes about 1-2 hours to float this far, and we'll usually pick up a blue or two, maybe a flathead, and a boatload of gar. We usually do it in mid hot summer when were home from college on weekdays after work. So from about 5-9. The best bite is 7-9. It's fun other then waverunners making a racecourse out of our jugs, and jerks telling us it's illegal to run jugs. (its not) Hope this helps guys.

Heres a link to some of our pictures. ( scorll down some of them say maremec. Click on the story section as well, and read the big one that got away.

http://www.geocities.com/customcav1996/fishing.html

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC and your right this is the greatest fishing site in the world